MALIBU Are Steering Boxes Rebuildable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
Hello,
The steering box on my 78' Malibu seems to be leaking quite bad, can the box be rebuilt? Or do I have to buy a new one (which I can't find on Rockauto).

JimmyCamino

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2020
Alexandria, VA
Yes they can be rebuilt. I see Rockauto sells steering gear rebuild kits. This link is for illustration purposes, don't know if this is the same box as in your '78. GM Service Manual would describe how to rebuild one. Probably advises to use a press on the bearings.

The steering box in my '80 Malibu station wagon was leaking pretty bad, so I swapped it out with one from my '78 Malibu station wagon parts car. Maybe you can find a good similar steering box at the junkyard?

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
They can be rebuilt for sure, although if your malibu has the saginaw gear box you would be a lot better off getting a 4 bolt steering box to replace it. The ratio is better and they are not as prone to leaking. Im not sure ive ever seen one of the early round cover boxes not leak.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I agree. I've replaced two of the 605 round top steering boxes over the years, and both were leakers. As suggested, replace it with an 800 series(4-bolt cover). They are a beefier unit, however, they're not all quick ratio boxes. Another suggestion is to find an earlier ('90's?) Jeep Cherokee box. You would have to replace the pitman arm for one compatible to our cars. Rock Auto is another solution.

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor