Are the hinges on the body side glued and bolted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
On my 84 Cutlass, I have loosened my bolts from the Hinge to the body to adjust my door and with all the bolt loose I still can't get it to move. It looks looks like there is glue between the hinge and pillar.
This is not the original door it was put on twenty years ago by pulling the door pins using the junk yard door side hinge and factory pillar side and never adjusted the for the same reason. It sat for the last 18 years so the pins and bushings are tight but is out of adjustment.
Any ideas or suggestions , thanks

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I removed mine whne I took the body off and they were installed what seemed to be sealant. I"m curous why you need to move the hinges to adjust your door, are you sure it's not a worn hinge bushing that is causes the problem. The doors installed at factory were adjusted then.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
On my 84 Cutlass, I have loosened my bolts from the Hinge to the body to adjust my door and with all the bolt loose I still can't get it to move. It looks looks like there is glue between the hinge and pillar.
This is not the original door it was put on twenty years ago by pulling the door pins using the junk yard door side hinge and factory pillar side and never adjusted the for the same reason. It sat for the last 18 years so the pins and bushings are tight but is out of adjustment.
Any ideas or suggestions , thanks
I’ve never seen any glued on from the factory. Only sealer around the edges. Who knows what was done 20 years ago. I’d take the door off the hinges and then see what’s going on with the hinge. That way the weight of the door is gone and it’s not in the way. You’ll be able to tell if your bushings or bushing holes are bad, out of round. Get a pin/ bushing kit first,

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
The factory door got hit and dented in. I was just out of high school and didn't know better and pulled the door off by separating it at the pins. I used a junk yard door that had it's side of the hinge on it it. I put new pins and bushings in back then to assemble everything and couldn't get it adjusted then so I let it go. The car sat for 18 years so it never got worse or wear.
My problem could be adjustment, or mismatched inner and outer hinges. It sags in the back and is chewing up the striker pin. There is no noticable play in the the pins and bushings so I figured it's adjustment since it's not factory hinges.
I looked closer and it does look like a seam sealer

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
The door is solid no play like wore components but is almost rubbing the rocker at the bottom in the rear where it angled.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Loosen the body side bolts on both hinges, spray W-D40 on the areas and let it sit for 5 minutes. Supprt the door, don’t lift it yet, with a floor jack and 2X4 or engine hoist. Use a hammer ( and maybe a chisel) to loosen up the hinge. Once freed up adjust. IMO you probably won’t get perfect alignment after how long it’s been like that.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
This topic has been gone over many times, search the old threads and you’ll probably find 100 opinions on what else to do.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
there should not be that much different in the alignment between the 2 doors. Did you see the door on the donor car or was it on a rack? I'm wondering of the donor door is damaged

Last edited:

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
I loosened the bolts and soaked everything with pb blaster and they freed up and I was able to adjust so the body lines and striker are good, no sagging or drooping.. I had to adjust to the door side to get the tilt in at the top and out at the bottom. Looks good and works much better.
Tomorrow night I need to adjust the front fender a bit to match the door.
Thanks for the suggestions and tips

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor