Arizona friends, question on emissions/exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Im in Mesa, Maricopa County, Arizona. Looking to register and run my 1988 Monte Carlo soon. Stock set up with AIR pump, Cat, all stock emissions stuff. I passed emissions testing last year with all the stock stuff so I'm not worried about doing that again. My question is specifically for Arizona folks or those that are familiar with Arizona laws/practices. What aftermarket exhaust system are you using? I know way back when there was a header kit that included check valves and such for the stock system to tie into but those are long gone from what I've seen. The SS has an oval port "high flow, high performance" catalytic converter that sits off to the passengers side. Anyone running a kit that ties into this directly? Any other headers y'all recommend? What can be used on a SBC that will still pass emissions inspections. Im not opposed to swapping out the stock stuff and running it when needed for emissions but would like to set something up that's one and done. Looking for either headers all the way back or at minimum catback. I see some kits on Summit but would like some feedback from those that have a set up already and insight on what works and what doesn't.

Thanks in advanced.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Put classic car insurance on it then you won't have to go to emissions anymore. You are required to have a Daily driver car registered in Maricopa County also. I did that with my El Camino years ago. (we live out in Surprise). Then you can run what ever set up you want, I did a 2 in 2 out Cat and duel Flowmaster Super 50's.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Put classic car insurance on it then you won't have to go to emissions anymore. You are required to have a Daily driver car registered in Maricopa County also. I did that with my El Camino years ago. (we live out in Surprise). Then you can run what ever set up you want, I did a 2 in 2 out Cat and duel Flowmaster Super 50's.

So even if I do put classic insurance on it, I'll still have to run a cat?

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Hedman makes low emission, long tube headers for Monte Carlos. Through they ard not direct fits like the old Hooker 2050s or Eddy TES headers were. Used ones do pop up every so often. Hooker has resumed production on 2055 emission legal headers for F bodies, might be able to modify them for G bodies?

Emission laws for the true 49 states are set by the Feds. G bodies are forever low emission cars that must follow EPA rules to be road legal, regardless of tags, age, inspections, or insurance. CA is the only state that sets its own emission laws which the Feds just copycat for the other 49. Plus you can only use stock style cats in the stock position, no dual exhausts or dual cats. The only exception is if you are building a race track car that will never be street driven. You must obey a plethora of laws to drive a car on a public road, that is one of the many prices for driving. Public roads are far from being free.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
No, you ca run anything you want .because there is no more inspections.

You can get away with breaking emission laws since inspections are the main form of enforcement. Laws are pretty much only as good as how well they are enforced. However, no longer being required to go though inspections does not make one legally exempt from obeying emission laws. If they ever decide to crack down on older cars again, or get pulled over by a overzealous cop who wants to nail you for anything, you may be in trouble if you have removed anything. All a cop has to do is roll an inspection mirror under your car. Plus you can clearly smell a car that has missing cats.

Furthermore, in some states there are driving restrictions with classic tags and insurance. DD a car with classic insurance is a form of insurance fraud. If you DD a car, you need to pay for normal insurance for DD use. My state does not have any stated mileage limits, but it has vague wording about how classic tagged cars can only be used for display purposes and shows. This vague wording gives LE and insurance companies a lot of leeway to jam you up if they feel like it.

AZRegal

Greasemonkey
Aug 20, 2017
Mesa AZ
You can get away with breaking emission laws since inspections are the main form of enforcement. Laws are pretty much only as good as how well they are enforced. However, no longer being required to go though inspections does not make one legally exempt from obeying emission laws. If they ever decide to crack down on older cars again, or get pulled over by a overzealous cop who wants to nail you for anything, you may be in trouble if you have removed anything. All a cop has to do is roll an inspection mirror under your car. Plus you can clearly smell a car that has missing cats.

Furthermore, in some states there are driving restrictions with classic tags and insurance. DD a car with classic insurance is a form of insurance fraud. If you DD a car, you need to pay for normal insurance for DD use. My state does not have any stated mileage limits, but it has vague wording about how classic tagged cars can only be used for display purposes and shows. This vague wording gives LE and insurance companies a lot of leeway to jam you up if they feel like it.

This is why on my Regal i opted to buy the 50 state smog legal 430hp LS3 EROD connect and cruise kit. I do not want to give anyone any loopholes where they can bust my balls or deny payment on an insurance claim if something happens. I plan on driving the piss out of my Regal when it's complete. Therefore this was the best bang for the buck for me and the best way to stay legal. But hey, to each his own. Do as you will.

Reactions: 1 users

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
I'm not breaking any emissions laws, I had my system put on years ago. I has a Cat and will still pass emissions today. I just stated that there no more inspections on Cars that have met the rules and have been registered and insured as "Classic Cars" .
Exemptions:
1. Vehicles registered outside of Phoenix and Tucson Metro Area zip codes.
2. Gasoline-powered and alternative fuel vehicles 5 model years old and newer (this does NOT include reconstructed vehicles).
2. Pre-1967 model year vehicles
3. Vehicles registered as “collectible” with collectible vehicle insurance

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
This is why on my Regal i opted to buy the 50 state smog legal 430hp LS3 EROD connect and cruise kit. I do not want to give anyone any loopholes where they can bust my balls or deny payment on an insurance claim if something happens. I plan on driving the piss out of my Regal when it's complete. Therefore this was the best bang for the buck for me and the best way to stay legal. But hey, to each his own. Do as you will.
Write this up, with lots of pictures. Caliwagon wants to know.

• Haha

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
As of right now, I still have the stock 305HO in it and plan on running it as long as it last while I slowly piece together an LS swap. Id like to get a little more of out of the 305 with some headers and an exhaust but always seem to run in to the issue of the cat and the crosspipe to connect the headers to the cat. I was aware of the TES kit but have yet to find one used or otherwise. Im not opposed to running a cat, especially if it means not getting nailed by inspection or a cop or whatever else may be out there. But if I cant pass emissions then Im not looking to touch anything. Its not going to be a DD by any means but I'd still like to drive it to work a couple times a month or on the weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor