Assistance Needed Oil Leak/ How many places in Motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

synoptic12

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2012
U.S.
Going to the source for information: GBODYFORUM. Brought my 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham (5.0 liter-307) in for service at Tasca. The motor has a lot of oil leaking. The service adviser advised I have the valve cover gaskets done first, then perform a dye test to determine any other areas of concern. I gave my consent on the valve covers. My question is how many points on the motor or areas could I be leaking oil, irrespective of the oil pan gasket? All replies are appreciated.

xcookpac

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2012
Technically the number of oil leaks that you could have are almost limitless if you include porous blocks, cracks in blocks, missing fasteners (and not properly tightened fasteners leaking oil), etc. The real question is: why would you pay someone else to replace your valve cover gaskets?

Replacing your valve cover gaskets is usually one of the first projects that a newbie takes on. If you are unwilling to change valve cover gaskets then it is unlikely that you are going to be comfortable identifying and fixing more difficult oil leaks (not trying to be mean - just honest).

If you really want to identify the source of additional leaks, then pressure wash the motor (after dowsing it with nonflammable solvent - use the stuff from the parts store: NOT GASOLINE). I usually power-wash motors while motor is running and I put a bag over distributor and its wires. Once motor is clean, new oil leaks should be relatively easy to identify.

Let us know how you make out.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
If there is a gasket or seal, it can leak.

Reactions: 1 user

synoptic12

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2012
U.S.
If there is a gasket or seal, it can leak.
Thank you very much, most appreciated.
* By the way, I opted for the rubber valve cover gaskets. Price $569.00 (4 hours labor)

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

synoptic12

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2012
U.S.
Technically the number of oil leaks that you could have are almost limitless if you include porous blocks, cracks in blocks, missing fasteners (and not properly tightened fasteners leaking oil), etc. The real question is: why would you pay someone else to replace your valve cover gaskets?

Replacing your valve cover gaskets is usually one of the first projects that a newbie takes on. If you are unwilling to change valve cover gaskets then it is unlikely that you are going to be comfortable identifying and fixing more difficult oil leaks (not trying to be mean - just honest).

If you really want to identify the source of additional leaks, then pressure wash the motor (after dowsing it with nonflammable solvent - use the stuff from the parts store: NOT GASOLINE). I usually power-wash motors while motor is running and I put a bag over distributor and its wires. Once motor is clean, new oil leaks should be relatively easy to identify.

Let us know how you make out.

* https://gobdp.com/blog/common-engine-oil-leak-locations/

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Thank you very much, most appreciated.
* By the way, I opted for the rubber valve cover gaskets. Price $569.00 (4 hours labor)

one benefit of this forum is that the help is free and can save you money, in your case with the valve cover gaskets you could have saved over $500.

GPNX

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2016
Going to the source for information: GBODYFORUM. Brought my 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham (5.0 liter-307) in for service at Tasca. The motor has a lot of oil leaking. The service adviser advised I have the valve cover gaskets done first, then perform a dye test to determine any other areas of concern. I gave my consent on the valve covers. My question is how many points on the motor or areas could I be leaking oil, irrespective of the oil pan gasket? All replies are appreciated.
How much oil is leaking per oil change

synoptic12

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2012
U.S.
one benefit of this forum is that the help is free and can save you money, in your case with the valve cover gaskets you could have saved over $500.

*Possibly. However, there are far too many emission hoses for me, including the air. I'm capable of many things, mainly top end work. Worked rebuilding differentials and transmissions. To be honest, I do not even care to perform any top end work any longer. The V.C. gaskets are more than a task with all those hoses.

synoptic12

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2012
U.S.
How much oil is leaking per oil change
I do the oil changes, whereas I hate to change the oil. I'm losing about 3/4 to 1 quart in a years time, no more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor