1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Astro roof Malibu, Dallas TX

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ribbedroof, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Ribbedroof

Ribbedroof Royal Smart Person

False alarm, it seems

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Ribbedroof, Dec 24, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Bar50

Bar50 Royal Smart Person

Guess I have never seen one that was factory installed.

Cool

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. clean8485

clean8485 Royal Smart Person

As far as I knew, GM didn't offer the Astroroof/power moonroof option on the Malibu. I thought it was only offered on the higher line cars (Cutlass, Regal, and I think Grand Prix). I bought some parts from a person years ago, who owned a 2 door Malibu, and he was going to swap in an Astroroof assembly out of a Cutlass or a Regal. Judging from the photos of the Malibu in that Craigslist ad, it looks like there's been some work on the roof. I wonder if someone installed the Astroroof since the car was built, or maybe it was an aftermarket dealer installed item.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Longroof79

Longroof79 Geezer

Jeff,
    I knew a guy a few years back that had a Malibu coupe with the factory Astroroof. It was no doubt a rare option. The roof on that car could have been grafted on, unless those were signs of having a vinyl top.

That Landau coupe appears to have a decent interior...and the body doesn't look all that bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ribbedroof

About 16 years ago, at a body shop I worked at, we had a customer that brought us a 79 Malibu with a factory-installed Astro roof for a "makeover". It is the only one I have ever seen in person, but it was a legit factory install, the car was a nice survivor.Unfortunately, there was a lot of drama with the vehicle owner and her son, and she pulled the car out of the shop before it was finished. I attempted to buy it, but there was some emotional attachment to it, and I don't know what ever became of it, and have never seen it since.

Looks to me like they peeled the vinyl Landau top off, and the forward portion of the roof suffers from typical southwest "sunburn". Lacquer paint and prolonged exposure to 100 degree summers are not a good combination. If I hadn't just bought a coupe, i would be checking it out for the whole story, but I think there are enough "projects" kicking around my place already.

6. ssn696

ssn696 Comic Book Super Hero

My friend had one on his '79 coupe, but he could not find new seals for it, so he reskinned the roof with a panel from a donor car to get rid of the problem. These were very rare and I have seen zero aftermarket replacement parts.

I had a 79 Landau coupe that previously some ignorant shop had grafted on an opera window conversion. They cut off the roof rails with a Sawzall and used a metric ton of pop rivets installing the trim around the vinyl. When I peeled off this nightmare, I looked into grafting in a T-top from a Monte/Regal/Cutlass. I solved that design problem by buying another bargain coupe in better condition.

7. 455'ed80Regal

455'ed80Regal Master Mechanic
    Silver

Car looks to be in good shape on the surface. Worth the money from what I can see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. L.A.X-RATED

L.A.X-RATED Royal Smart Person

niCE find!!! id use a elco if i were doing a 2door wagon conversion...care to elaborate on your using of the 2 door malibu for this?

9. 565bbchevy

565bbchevy Comic Book Super Hero

I think that maybe this is not an astro roof but someones metal patch job for a manual sunroof after all if this was a rare factory option wouldn't you list it in your add.

10. Ribbedroof

A few issues with using an elco, IMO. Wheelbase, windshield height, roofline sweep, continuity of side glass lower window line.

As to my plan, I need a coupe donor for the B pillars, inner qtr panels ahead of the wheelhouse, and to fill from door to mid-wheelhouse.

#10 Ribbedroof, Dec 24, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1