Astro sending unit in wagon help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benny92

n00b
Apr 21, 2020
Okay so i have a 79 Malibu wagon that is getting a 5.3, I went with the Astro TBI sending unit and Astro MPI pump, but I’m having a heck of a time getting the fuel tank back in. The factory straps are nowhere close. I’ve tried clocking the SU to point towards the front of the car and now tried to point it to the driver side. Seems like no matter which way I aim it something is touching the body. I guess my question is has anybody ran into issues here with needing longer straps or am I just missing the sweet spot against the floor that has just enough space for the hoses to not hit the body before the strap can even bolt up? I’m like 4” away from the strap working at all.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
I have not done this swap yet but intend to with my lt1 G wagon project. I know forum member 81cutlass has done this and i hope will respond. 4" of interference seems excessive. The sender is no more than 1" taller than the stock sender. Is it possible the filler neck is catching on something? Have you tried removing the sender and trying tank fitment? Just a couple of suggestions till someone more knowledgeable chimes in.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Benny92

n00b
Apr 21, 2020
I have not done this swap yet but intend to with my lt1 G wagon project. I know forum member 81cutlass has done this and i hope will respond. 4" of interference seems excessive. The sender is no more than 1" taller than the stock sender. Is it possible the filler neck is catching on something? Have you tried removing the sender and trying tank fitment? Just a couple of suggestions till someone more knowledgeable chimes in.
I’ve crawled up under there and squeezed myself high enough to see that the sender elbows are touching floor so it’s not that simple lol I’m wondering if maybe a got a sender with goofy manufacturing where the ports sit much higher than they should

Reactions: 1 user

onefast66nova

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 29, 2014
I have done the swap and my sender and pump unit from and Astro was a bolt up swap

Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I had to trim a tab in the locking ring on order to rotate the sender to point towards the stock exit location.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Ditto on cutting the lock tab off. This is how mine ended up. Walbro 255 in stock wagon tank and astro sender.

1594776952791.png

Stock sender left, astro right
1594777088674.png

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor