Astroroof seal replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

88MONTESS

Greasemonkey
Sep 27, 2009
Can some one please drop a link with pics and directions regarding astroroof seal replacement?

I’ve searched but couldn’t find anything with photos that weren’t expired due to age of post.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

All the AstroRoof you could ever want.
Lol

Starts around post #1475, and ends (for now) on page 165. Be prepared to do some reading.

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
If you read his thread, the aftermarket "replacement" seals are junk. I hope yours is still in one piece.
Well that stinks. I hand delivered a full working Astro roof to one of these suppliers so they could copy the seal and have an original opening for fit testing.
At least I have 1 NOS seal left

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well that stinks. I hand delivered a full working Astro roof to one of these suppliers so they could copy the seal and have an original opening for fit testing.

Interested in selling it?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
No....I better keep it. I like the astro roof so may end up with another one some day. I was encouraged to sell it before the "new" ones hit the market.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK

Sounds like the Malibu sail/upr qtr/pkg tray ends fiasco all over again

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
No....I better keep it. I like the astro roof so may end up with another one some day. I was encouraged to sell it before the "new" ones hit the market.

No worries, I completely understand. I probably would if I was you too. I figured there’d be no harm in asking though.

I need to try and find a NOS genuine GM one to complete my AstroRoof and paint and body restoration. I bought one of the aftermarket ones from G Body Parts, but the rubber is too dense and won’t compress enough for the outer panel to sit flush with the rest of the roof.
Disappointing to say the least.

Does anybody know if there’s a different outer seal part number for glass panel (sun roof) vs. metal panel (moon roof) AstroRoofs?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Does anybody know if there’s a different outer seal part number for glass panel (sun roof) vs. metal panel (moon roof) AstroRoofs?
Parts book says that there are 2 different numbers. The ones pertaining to CF5 are as follows: CA1 and CF5 sliding panel EXCEPT C09 (FULL vinyl top) w/s (20062590) and CF5 sliding glass WITH C09 (FULL vinyl top) w/s (20091638). I don't know the differences. I get twisted around on these numbers all the time.

There's another says for CA1 & C09 RPO. (metal panel and FULL vinyl top respectively ) It's p/n 20162930. I know nothing about these slidey things.

Since Rktpwrd was originally metal panel with 1/2 vinyl top, IIRC, that should be 20062590.

The ones that Gbodyparts.com sells are repro ones that claim to be for either metal or glass sliding panel EXCEPT vinyl top, which is 20062590.

I wonder what the real difference is for the different combos?

Anyone confused yet?

EDIT: Forgot to add that CF5 is the sliding GLASS panel. The CA1 is the sliding METAL panel. So if you have a vinyl top there seems to be a difference (why it would make a difference I have no idea.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Parts book says that there are 2 different numbers. The ones pertaining to CF5 are as follows: CA1 and CF5 sliding panel EXCEPT C09 (vinyl top) w/s (20062590) and CF5 sliding glass WITH C09 (vinyl top) w/s (20091638). I don't know the differences. I get twisted around on these numbers all the time.

There's another says for CA1 & C09 RPO. (metal panel and vinyl top respectively ) It's p/n 20162930. I know nothing about these slidey things.

Since Rktpwrd was originally metal panel with vinyl top, IIRC, that should be 20162930. The OLD number that got changed from 1981 catalog was 20062591.

The ones that Gbodyparts.com sells are repro ones that claim to be for either metal or glass sliding panel EXCEPT vinyl top, which is 20062590.

I wonder what the real difference is for the different combos?

Anyone confused yet?

Thanks for that info Mike, I was hoping you’d see this thread. At least now I have some part numbers I can plug into an eBay search, and hope for that golden unicorn.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor