BIG UPDATE! Attempt to 3D print air deflector screw caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
I like the wing but undecided what to do go with it and try to find the air deflector and hardware or just keep mine without. But I got time to decide it's the next big project on the list.

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
I just had my hinges chromed along with the handle. Odd thing is, (not really all that odd considering the 80's) the two halves of the hinges are made of different material and held together with this weird pin gizmo. My chrome guy insisted I take them apart because they require two completely different finishing processes. I'm going to use roll pins for reattaching them back together. Will post some photos when I pick the other halves up. It's a piece out in front of God and everyone else so they need to be right. ...

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Will PM you. 3D printer guy supposedly made a set, but has gone radio silent, and is holding my originals hostage.

Start checking online retailers, maybe he is cutting out the middle man?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I just had my hinges chromed along with the handle. Odd thing is, (not really all that odd considering the 80's) the two halves of the hinges are made of different material and held together with this weird pin gizmo. My chrome guy insisted I take them apart because they require two completely different finishing processes. I'm going to use roll pins for reattaching them back together. Will post some photos when I pick the other halves up. It's a piece out in front of God and everyone else so they need to be right. ...
Scott,
I've taken hinges apart before and mixed and matched pieces. I was able to re-use the roll pins. I think in instance I had to add a bushing which consisted of the outer sheathing, or insulation from telephone wire to provide a snug fit.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
**UPDATE** Finally heard back from the 3D printer guy. I guess his iPhone took a dump on him, and he didn't have it backed up to iCloud (or so he says) and he lost my contact info. At any rate, he said he's done about 20 sets. I haven't seen the finished product yet, but the prototype video he showed me looked promising. They may still need a little sanding and final detail to be install-ready. They were also printed in a rather loud orange resin, but he said he chose that material for its strength and durability, and they will be painted anyway. At any rate, he said he was going to sell me the entire batch for a fairly reasonable price. I will post pics when I have them, and if any of you are interested in buying a set, I'll be happy to ship them to you for a reasonable price.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor