REGAL Attention!! Sound/Radio Guys...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I had my junkyard find 5 Band EQ Delco Radio rebuilt (manuf./inspected 1/6/'88, out of a chevy celebrity) and the right channel is weak and it causes the front right speaker to raise up and suck in on itself. I know the thing about the capacitors being blown out causing a weak/no right channel situation, those were one of the things they just repaired. Also, why is there a scratchy static sound when changing the volume? I assume the jackasses would've fixed that. I mean, the tape deck works now, but I'd rather not have it swelling my speakers, and for... yknow. The god damn right channel to work. It fades in and out and is crackly on the right channel.

Any input is appreciated. Either way, it's going back until it gets fixed, I get my 200 (YES, 200 god damn dollars) back or someone gets a foot up someones *ss. I am beyond pissed.

Video of offense:

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
dumb question I know but do you have the polarity correct on the speaker ?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
dumb question I know but do you have the polarity correct on the speaker ?
It should be. I've plugged in my stock (non tape deck, non eq radio) and it, albeit shitty, works perfectly fine. Speakers behave normally, bump normally, and has a crystal clear channels (right, left, front, and rear).

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
should be yes but it's a simple check. I overlooked it for years, and years, blaming this and that ..... well you get the point. Google speaker polarity check. It needs a 9v battery. Per you video it looks like that speaker is out of sync

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
should be yes but it's a simple check. I overlooked it for years, and years, blaming this and that ..... well you get the point. Google speaker polarity check. It needs a 9v battery. Per you video it looks like that speaker is out of sync
whats weird, is with the stock radio, it's fine. Maybe the repair guy hooked something up backwards internally when he fixed the EQ radio?

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Buy some canned air for $5, open the radio case and spray the **** out of the inside the with the canned air. Crunchy volume knobs are almost always dirt buildup.

Its like when you computer fan gets loud... canned air the **** out of it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
And for reference, the car was 100% stock, undicked with when I bought it. Sound wise, all I ever did until I replaced the speakers, was swap a series of tape decks out.

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Buy some canned air for $5, open the radio case and spray the **** out of the inside the with the canned air. Crunchy volume knobs are almost always dirt buildup.

Its like when you computer fan gets loud... canned air the **** out of it.

This is probably the best option with a 30 year old deck

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Let's address these one at a time:
Static in the Volume: dirt in the potentiometer. Remove knobs, spray Contact Cleaner while working the control back and forth. UNGN's suggestion of compressed air isn't a bad idea, either.
Out of Phase Speakers: if the polarity is reversed on one speaker, the pair will exhibit diminished bass response with the Balance control centered. If the bass increases when Balance is moved to the left or right, reverse polarity on one of the speakers to correct.
Weak Output on One Channel: I'd send the unit back to the repair shop; it doesn't sound like they fixed it properly, especially if the other unit plays fine.

While I appreciate your quest for Nostalgia, $200 would have bought some good sounding, modern equipment.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor