Audi Flipper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Picked up an Audi yesterday, 2002 A6 Quattro 2.7t (twin turbo.) Looking just to flip it, the guy figured it needed a crank position sensor. After some research I found out that these can just start working again. The guy was in love with this car, and I knew if I cranked it and it started it would have been game over for me. It was cheap enough that if it needed something far worse I wouldn't be too butt hurt. So I took a chance, looked it over, and pushed it 2 blocks to my buddys place after giving him a figure in the 3 digit region. Crank it over and sure enough it sounds like a weak craftsman drill. Obviously no compression, pretty obvious it had a timing belt go right when he last shut it off or tried to start it up. Audi forums tell me that there is a .0000001% chance that it didn't bend valves, and with 5 valves (yes, 5) per cylinder on an interference engine, I assumed the same.

I don't think there's any other potential problem to cause low/no compression across the board, but it is german so who knows...

Anyway, has anyone worked on one of these? Should I bother trying to fix this or just flog it off? Sounds like the valves are soft and don't typically damage the pistons, at least in this situation, so probably just a belt and head swap

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Ha! My neighbor's bf's kid YouTubed his was through a timing belt change. I told him to turn it over by hand first. He didn't listen, hit the starter, and crashed the valves into the pistons. There is a neat trick to drop the whole nose, though.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Ha! My neighbor's bf's kid YouTubed his was through a timing belt change. I told him to turn it over by hand first. He didn't listen, hit the starter, and crashed the valves into the pistons. There is a neat trick to drop the whole nose, though.

Yea these jobs that look daunting aren't usually as bad as they seem, because the manufacturers know this will be the only way to fix something that will inevitably break. Its like the newish super duty trucks, sure you gotta pull the cab off just to put an air freshener in, but I hear they come off really easy, well as long as you have a hoist.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I'd probably pedal it as-is. I've done timing belts on them but not head replacement. The problem with VWs and Audis is that there's ALWAYS something else wong. Never could make good money on them.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
Sell it immediately!

Audi owners are douche bags.

Attachments

• 97AA0BF2-A879-4799-9FF5-44567FCE9A1A.jpeg
    97AA0BF2-A879-4799-9FF5-44567FCE9A1A.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 177
Reactions: 1 user

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
Check the timing first. If it runs, the belt is still on might have only slipped by one tooth.
Those V6's are good for half a million miles when maintained right.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yea these jobs that look daunting aren't usually as bad as they seem, because the manufacturers know this will be the only way to fix something that will inevitably break. Its like the newish super duty trucks, sure you gotta pull the cab off just to put an air freshener in, but I hear they come off really easy, well as long as you have a hoist.
Yeah, a great idea considering Navistar followed the tried and true Olds 350 diesel😣, using 4 head bolts per cylinder along with boost in their 6/6.4L garbage motors. Yeah interference motors suck, got to love timing belts too, yet another reason I dumped my 2010 3.5 Challenger. Not that there isn't issues with chains. Using dual, self adjusting tensioners with prestrecthed German chain helps. Took GM and Ford awhile to get it right on their DOHC 6, my Pentastar thankfully seems to have it figured out from the get go. It does sound like a neat little car, probably fast. Wow 5 valves per cylinder sounds insane, leave it to the Germans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor