Aussie 1978 Buick Century Sport Coupe

Status
Not open for further replies.

jash

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 2, 2014
Howdy All,
I've just picked up a '78 Buick Century Luxus Sport Coupe. Not a real common thing in Australia - and this one has been converted to RHD.
Building it up with a mild LS1/4L60 to cut some laps in summer with.
Real interested to find out what interchanges between the Sport Coupe and say a Regal as mine needs stuff like door seals etc.
Jeff

Attachments

• 20141130_143434.jpg
    20141130_143434.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1,375

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Great find! Everything should be the same with the Regal interior except for the rear side panels. Those should be Malibu/Lemans pieces.
Have fun with it.
T

malibuguy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 2, 2014
Maryland
Awesome project. Welcome

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
Nice. Those are not common in the States either.

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
Cool ride!

I had one back in the 80's. I replaced the 305 with a stock 400. Even with the stock motor and 2.29 gears, it scooted up an on-ramp just fine. I bought it back 10 years later as a rusted hulk and stripped the suspension pieces for my Camino, the 400 and some other odds and ends, then scrapped the rest. I think I still have the stock upper door panels and Rally steering wheel stored away in my attic.

78CenturySportCoupe-1.jpg

Bill

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
When you have a chance, please post some photos of the right-hand drive, interior and exterior. Does it have a fabricated dash? What did they use for a steering gear, pump, hoses, and steering linkage? Extra-long speedometer cable draped over the top of the trans? There are questions every day on the Forum about what swaps and what fits, but moving the driver to right-hand seat takes some serious engineering!

jash

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 2, 2014
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

jetsetw31 - So Regal mirrors will work too?
billyjack - I'd be interested in the door panels and the wheel if you want to part with them? And do you have any more pictures of yours? You mentioned aluminum bumpers on another post?
ssn696 - I've attached a pic. I haven't been right through it yet but it looks as though they have used a rod under the dash to control the brakes as the MC and booster are in the original position. Looks like they have just welded the steering box on the chassis on the other side from where it normally is. They have cut and shut the dash and bogged (body filler) it up.

Its pretty bunky at the moment, but it will be flash.
Jeff

Attachments

• 20141103_184931_resized.jpg
    20141103_184931_resized.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 664

malibuguy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 2, 2014
Maryland
Man that's trippy looking!

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
It's very disorienting to see the steering wheel on that side let alone the gauges all in reverse order. I live in Indiana and I have only seen your car about four times that I can recall even here. Very rare g.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor