Aussie 79 Monte

Masone

Masone

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 28, 2020
Cheers for the ad, just introducing myself and the new project. Picked up this rhd 79 Monte recently to rebuild. Last American car was a rhd 62 impala that I never really got to finish so looking forward to doing this one justice. Not many gbodys here and only a handful of third gens so parts all have to be sourced stateside (licence pocket anyone? 😬) Still not 100% what direction I’ll go with it, maybe very mild lowrider but we will see. Car seems pretty solid, one advantage it not snowing here except up in the ski fields down south 😁 It did have a vinyl roof so expecting some hidden surprises around the rear window. Will get a build thread going once I crack into it.

Attachments

ssn696

ssn696

Older Than My 1980 Malibus
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
New Mexico
Welcome! I'd like to see a detailed post on the RHD conversion when you have time. That's a really big deal for these cars that were really never designed for that. The Commodore/G8 I once had was clearly set up for either configuration.

Keep the story and pictures coming.

Last edited:
Longroof79

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard! Very nice Monte. It's gotta be the first RHD one that I've ever seen. Cheers.
I also noticed the Euro taillights....cool!

Last edited:
1983calais

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
Welcome. I have never seen a rhd monte. Never knew they made them. Nice car and good luck!

D

Doug Chahoy

Royal Smart Person
Nov 21, 2016
Welcome, and we thought we had problems replacing dashboards LOL. I too have never heard that Chevy ever did that.One other thing pretty unique, back in 1960 my mom was learning to drive. When the guy arrived for her lesson, it was a 59 Chevy with steering and pedals on BOTH sides. At 6 years old, that really amazed me. I was a confirmed car nut at a very young age.

ssn696

ssn696

Older Than My 1980 Malibus
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
New Mexico
We can certainly find you the license plate surround, and even a stay-down license plate bracket. However, does Australian motor vehicle registry offer a 'tall/narrow' US-shaped plate like the Europeans do? If not, you may have to do some fabbing anyway.

mclellan83

mclellan83

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Welcome, looks like a good start interested to see what you do with her

Reactions: Rktpwrd
Flyers9928

Flyers9928

Master Mechanic
Jul 30, 2014
Mercersburg Pa
That interior picture warped my fragile little mind!

• Haha
Reactions: Rktpwrd

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck ConsolesDixie Restoration DepotMike's MontesP-S-TSouthside Machine PerformanceUMI Performance

contact[email protected]for info on becoming a sponsor