Autocross anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
Does anyone around here run autocross in their G/A bodies? I'm looking to setup my Cutlass to run and was hoping to get some suggestions. Already working on collecting the frame supports to reinforce the chassis and stiffen things out. What are people running for suspensions to make these things handle? What about brakes?

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
not yet... im considering seting my "N body" malibu up for it, but im not sure yet. I really want to run road course with the cutty though, but im trying to focus on making it streetable first lol

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
First, get a rulebook, so you know what's legal and what's not. I've only run in "stock" classes, so modifications were limited. Get the biggest sway bars you can find, especially in the rear. Fasten the rear sway bar as far forward as possible to reduce the arm length, effectively making the bar stiffer. All front end bushings should be replaced with a less-compliant material than stock. Buy the best shocks you can afford. There are some circle track classes that run a G-body front clip, so Bilsteins are available in the used part market. Don't go too stiff on front springs, or you'll be inducing too much front roll resistance bias. You're going to need to drift the rear if your courses are tight. Have a good alignment done, with minimum toe, maximum caster, and 0 camber. Then you can drive to the course, and add about 3/8"-1/2" shim packs to all four control arm bolts, giving you some negative camber. Front tires are more important than rears. Find the biggest tire and widest wheel you can fit up front. Rear tires can be the same size as the fronts. Most importantly, learn how to drive. Learn your car's characteristics, and how to adapt your car's characteristics to each corner. Autocrossing is a great way to sharpen your skills. Have fun!
Bill

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
Yeah I need to pick up a new rule book my last one is oh about 10 years old :lol: . It was from back when I raced my old Porsche. Driving is not a huge issue for me, I've raced road courses (mostly PIR) and some autocross. It has been a few years so I might be a little rusty but not bad, I've been known to push my truck a bit hard :lol: .

What is the largest (widest) wheel and tire combo that will fit up front on one of these without reworking the sheet metal? The car will run in a modified class even if it is not competitive. I just can't see rebuilding it as a "stock" car, especially consider I plan on ~400hp, Muncie 4 spd, and a Ford 9 inch rear with disk brakes.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
A 235 will fit without difficulty. Largest tire you might want to go is a 245- with the correct backspacing and wheel size, might not rub at full lock. A 255 will fit with some sheet metal modification and very stiff springs. I doubt anything larger than that can be fit on the front without major modification.

Here's some threads:
http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8126
http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11342
http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6763
http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2442
http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5485

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
I run 235/60 15 T/A's on my Camino on a 8" wheel with 4" backspacing. I get a little rub from the right front at full left lock, against the inner wheelhouse. The same tire on a 7" wheel with 4" BS would be perfect, but I can't resist the widest wheel possible (old racer mentality). Just don't go any more than 4" BS, or you'll have some interference with control arms and frame rails at full lock.

Bill

carbuf

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 14, 2009
Jacksonville, Fl.
I actually get by with a 255/45-17 on an 8" wide wheel. It's been awhile since I put them on ,but I believe they're 4.5" backspace. I know the rear 9" wide are 5" backspace, 'cause I have to run a 1/4"spacer to prevent the tire from rubbing the inner well.

TRX

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 20, 2009
Central Arkansas
billyjack said:
First, get a rulebook,

+100 on the rulebook. The SCCA hates modified cars; almost any ordinary street mods will bump you into the wide-open "Modified" class, running against mid-engined tubeframe race cars. They came out with a "Street Prepared" class after I gave up; it was supposed to be a bit more lenient.
If you just want to drive instead of compete, it won't matter, though.

If you're near an Equipe Rapide group, those guys are more into driving than rules and meetings.

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
Oh yeah more into just running and having fun instead of competing for points. Who knows though maybe after awhile I would build a car to spec to fit in a class to compete for points but for now this car is just for fun. 8)

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I have actually thought about running a few track days with my car, but came to the conclusion that I would need to do some work for durability first. A better oil pan and a windage tray, an oil cooler, and a swap to a manual transmission were at the top of the list. Trying to drive hard around corners with an automatic is a exercise in frustration. Plus, my car is too damn modified to fit into any classes. I figure track days would be more fun as it would give me a chance to play against the clock and not have to worry about being competitive. That's how I approach the test and tune at the drag strip as I enjoy the tuning and refinement process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor