automotive fuel tank liquid liner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve S

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 22, 2022
I have 1986 cutlass salon. going to have fuel vatted (radiator shop). I want to seal it. How much product to coat it? Anyone have suggestions on the best product to use?
Thanks, Steve

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Not a fan of fuel tank sealers in general unless you have a tank they don't make anymore and it's a last resort. It's a messy process and can be hit or miss depending on what condition your tank is in when you start. I fear that eventually any coatings may come loose. That said, if I were going to use a sealer, I'd consider Por15. Not saying it's the best as I have never used it, but their other products seem to stick very well when the surfaces are prepped properly. Which, like anything else, is the key to longevity of any coating/paint job.

If you want to spend a little more, you can get a KBS "kit" which I've heard works well. No personal experience with either product. But one of these kits is where I'd start to look.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I would buy a new tank and be done. My coupe had a tank that had been vatted, fought fuel problems with it until I finally figured out that vatting had stripped all the plating from inside and it was rusting from the inside out, despite looking new on the outside.

Replaced it and no issues since. I have a couple friends that have done motorcycle tanks with sealer/coating, didn't work out well for them.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I agree on a new tank as they are not expensive. Shipping is the killer. Finding a place to buy it from and avoid shipping is the way to go. I am seeing $250 or more even from local stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor