AutotopiaLA 86 T Type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
This car is sick I would love to build one but once again why not do it to a plain regal why use a T Type or Grand National.
Check out the video

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Saw a video from LSfest on it with Hoonigan Autofocus. Way more technical breakdown.

I am PB and jelly.

Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I'd say, why do it to a plain jane regal instead of a ttype or grand national?

* It's much easier to find a super clean turbo car than base regal.

* Not many base regals can't with buckets/console/floor shift.

* harder to find a hardtop base regal, and, who wants to deal with the bodywork/rust of removing the landau?

* styling cues with less chrome, hood bulge, etc.

* guys still sell turbo cars as rollers in good shape

That's 30 seconds worth of thoughts. The value argument doesn't matter as such a car is appraised, and the suspension/drivetrain improvements don't count because at 1000hp you replace the stuff anyways. But the others I listed... when dumping the money in why not start with a clean slate not needing lots of body/interior work? And let's be honest, an ultra low mile base regal still won't be buckets/hardtop and would cost what a turbo car roller in good shape did... not sure about in la-la-bideninflationland these days.

• Agree

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I've been following him on IG, check him out. Looks like he runs/owns a fabrication shop and this was his business card to show off what they can do...

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
sweet-eric-cartman.gif

Dam that's nice!

I second ck80 about starting with a clean slate. But I also see Tuffregal83 side of things. Turbo cars tended to be better taken care of overall, thus a better base as the "inventory" of available cars started to diminish. It's not like you could get a "body in white" from GM anymore. Nobody really wants to spend countless hours and $$ fixing rust on a hulk just so they can start building the car they want. Or, it could simply be a version of that type of car they always envisioned it should be. It's more cost efficient to start with the cleanest, straightest example. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on your viewpoint, this is the smartest move when building any ride. In this case, he already owned the 86 T-type and blew the motor, and he just kept modifying once he put the LS in it. So he's got the car he wanted out of it.

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
All this complaining about using a T-type...who really wants a TOTALLY stock one, anyway?

It's when they (any G body) get the floors, firewall, wheelhouses cut out and turned into dedicated drag cars that kills them for me. I like spending more than one day a week in the car.

• Agree

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
He used a t type because that's what he had initially... Beyond that, who cares why..

This car makes me go from 6 to midnight everytime I see it. The hoonigan auto focus video from LS fest is so much more indepth as Mike said, he beat me to posting it. But none the less, I'm gonna go watch it again.

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
I love it! These gbodys should be driven. I don’t see too many average people who are impressed by a low mileage, stock performance gbody unfortunately.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor