Axle shops in the Pittsburgh area?

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Shopping around for a shop that can do some axle housing fabrication, at minimum I need somewhere that can install new housing ends. I’ve only found one shop so far, Greensburg Machine and Driveline, and while it includes parts, their quote felt a little high.

Anyone know of any shops in the area that can perform that kind of work?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
It has been well over 20 years ago so I'm not sure if tis would be any good but there was a welding shop on Babcock Blvd heading near joesregalproject neck of the woods that did stuff like that. Now if it's still around I'm not sure. Wish I could remember the name.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
It has been well over 20 years ago so I'm not sure if tis would be any good but there was a welding shop on Babcock Blvd heading near joesregalproject neck of the woods that did stuff like that. Now if it's still around I'm not sure. Wish I could remember the name.

Beatty Welding. Super awesome people. They actually moved up to Butler a few years ago.

Reactions: 1 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Beatty Welding. Super awesome people. They actually moved up to Butler a few years ago.
Their FB page has them doing mostly frame repair, but I’ll give them a call tomorrow and see if they know anyone. There’s a lot of dirt track stuff on there so it’s worth a shot.
Couldn’t find much down there on Google except a place called Steel City Speed and Custom. Doesn’t look like they do that type of work but again, worth a shot.

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
I've always kinda wondered --- are the tubes pressed in, or are they welded? is it really carbon steel tubes welded to a cast iron center, seems less likely.

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
I've always kinda wondered --- are the tubes pressed in, or are they welded? is it really carbon steel tubes welded to a cast iron center, seems less likely.
I believe they’re pressed, then plug welded. I remember reading somewhere 8.8 center section is closer to cast steel, so it’s possible to weld the axles to the center section.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
An 8.8 is much easier to have an effective weld when welding the tubes than a GM rear due to metallurgy of the center section as UC645 mentioned. Just don’t do a solid bead - 1” or so at a time and keep flipping to the other side so as to keep from warping the tube.

Reactions: 1 user

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
You could always check with Driveline Services down in Lawerenceville we use them a decent bit for our heavy duty trucks

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor