b body spindle for more height

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrus_the_great

Greasemonkey
Sep 8, 2009
IRAN
hi gbodyforum,

i cutted the spring 6cm down today , and the GP came down too much really ...

i want to know that a spindle from b body cars can help to have more height in my GP ?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The B body spindle is taller but it does not affect the ride height. You may want to get a new set of springs and start over, you wouldn't be the first to cut a spring too much... :oops:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I think for the B-body spindle conversion, you'll also need aftermarket upper control arms. Either Hotchkis or Speedway circle track arms. Apparently there's also more bump steer issues with these spindles.
I've also heard that you might be able to get by with taller upper ball joints. Don't quote me on that.

The only advantage I see using these spindles is that they come with larger brake rotors. But I think it's the stationwagon spindles, or some models of passenger cars that have the 12" rotors. Most B-body passenger cars, I believe, had 11" rotors.

In your case, I would just get a pair for replacement springs.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Jack, the spindle doesn't create bump steer. Bump steer is created by the position of the tie rod. For these street cars the best position for the least amount of bump steer is to have your tie rod parallel to the ground and the less amount of suspension travel the less amount of bump steer. You can adjust bump steer on our cars by tweaking the steering arm up or down a few thousands of an inch when you have the suspension set and wheel alignment done. Then you check the wheel alignment again. And then if we put some luggage the back of the car and/or a few passengers all the work was for nothing cause the geometry in the front end has changed. On our race car we shim the tie rod end but we control all the weight on the car and where the weight is and it makes it worthwhile. You are right about the upper needing to be shorter with the tall spindle. You need a 7" upper with a tall spindle.

cyrus_the_great

Greasemonkey
Sep 8, 2009
IRAN
there is some shaft to adjust the upper arm ...
shaft1.JPG

can i adjust the arm via bolts and shims?
i am in Iran and can not purchase those kind of parts like 7" upper and even buying a set of new springs can be costly

spring height in free mode was 17.5inch and after cutting were 15inch

and one more question ... if a taller spindle can not help so how a taller balljoint can help?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Steve,
I think there was an issue concerning a change in steering geometry. I believe it changes the camber. Again, I've never done it, I've read up on it years back when I wanted to go with larger brakes.
You're right about the position of the tie rods, etc. which would cause bump steer. There are a few other considerations.

Cyrus,
I wouldn't recommend using more shims than normal to compensate for the height difference using the B-body spindles.

Here's one article from the Monte Carlo SS forum. http://www.darklair.com/monte/12in-brake.html
Here's another one:
http://www.dumpit.org/grimreaper/12in_brakes.htm

The focus on both of these write ups are the larger brake rotors, but they do mention the use of B-body spindles and what parts would be needed.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Is there recycling (aka scrap) yards there? And is it possible to send you parts cause the springs here are not that expensive, that being a relative term of course

cyrus_the_great

Greasemonkey
Sep 8, 2009
IRAN
another question about fitment ... i have 14" snowflake wheels on my gp and inner size is something near to 13.3 inch , i wanna know if i put 11inch rotor on can i use my wheels yet? i am talking about more space what caliper need there

cyrus_the_great

Greasemonkey
Sep 8, 2009
IRAN
pontiacgp said:
Is there recycling (aka scrap) yards there? And is it possible to send you parts cause the springs here are not that expensive, that being a relative term of course

i don't have good experience about sending parts by one of gbodyforum guys to me and i lost more than 600$ ...

and about junkyards here ... they wont sell parts to everybody cause they are in some kind of mafia to sell parts expensiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor