B Body Wagon help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

STL84Calais

Greasemonkey
Feb 5, 2009
Hello everyone! I've been absent for some time, went back to the railroad, so time has been at a minimum. Anyway, on a whim I bought an 88 Chevy Caprice Estate (wagon) for a beater, it's got the Olds 307 and 50,*** original miles. Got it for a steal! Anyway, it's the definition of a "grandpa mobile" right now, and I plan on changing that, it needs to be the "War Wagon". I figure some 17" black steel wheels, tinted windows, and some obnoxious exhaust will do the trick for now...

My issue: I know my bolt pattern is 5x5, but I haven't been able to get any info on what type of backspacing I should be looking for. I'd like to bring the wheels a little more flush with the wheel well, but I don't even know what the stock backspacing is. Any help would be appreciated!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
what about measuring the bs on the wheels that are on it to give you an idea...

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I think a set of Impala SS wheels would look cool on there, and they're also a 5x5 bolt pattern and a 17" rim. You might be more successful finding a set of those, especially with guys swapping them out for aftermarket wheels.

RustRocket

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
I agree, use wheel measurements, or use the aftermarket wheels available for later 91-96 B-Body, Caprice, Fleetwood, Roadmaster, Impala, Custom Cruiser. Nice Vic by the way, we recently acquired an '03 P71, they're sweet rides

nottrndy1

n00b
Jan 28, 2015
Ive owned a couple of these. The stock backspace is 3.5in on a 15x7 steel wheel. I know this because I put 15x8 on the back but ordered them with the same backspace.

itsnicyo

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2013
Tampa
I second the SS wheel suggestion. But they aren't exactly "cheap" - there's a high demand for them from all the Caprice owners doing SS clones

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

STL84Calais

Greasemonkey
Feb 5, 2009
Thanks for the help! Based on this info, if I ordered a set of 17x9 wheels with a 4.5in backspacing, do you think I would be ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor