B pillar interior trim interchange?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Does anyone know if the interior B pillar trim from another car line will work on a 2 door Malibu? The only other car line that comes to mind would be 2 door Lemans or Grand Am. Thanks in advance.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Does anyone know if the interior B pillar trim from another car line will work on a 2 door Malibu? The only other car line that comes to mind would be 2 door Lemans or Grand Am. Thanks in advance.
It's looking like '78-'81 A27 (Malibu, LeMans, Grand Am) & '78-'80 A87 (Cutlass Salon, Century) coupes use p/n 20062210 (L)/20062211 (R) for the B pillar. Those numbers were superseded by 20201436 (L)/20201437 (R) after A27 & A87 production ended. The '78-'80 & '81-'87/'88 A37 (Monte Carlo & Grand Prix) & A47 (Cutlass notch back & Regal) coupes use different trim p/n's.

Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I can say with confidence that the 81-87 Monte Carlo/Regal/Cutlass B pillar trim will not fit a Malibu.

I do agree that they do not fit correctly.

However, in a pinch, they can be installed, but due to the angle above the beltline, the mating edge will bow out near the lower "L" shaped upper quarter trim. On a previous Malibu, I was forced to use a set of Cutlass B pillar trims ('85, as I recall), as the originals had crumbled to nothing. This was before the repros were available, and at that point, something was better than nothing.

To clarify, they will not lay down correctly in the "wrong" body style.

As far as I know, there is nothing available that fits properly aside from recycled OEM parts

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I do agree that they do not fit correctly.

However, in a pinch, they can be installed, but due to the angle above the beltline, the mating edge will bow out near the lower "L" shaped upper quarter trim. On a previous Malibu, I was forced to use a set of Monte B pillar trims, as the originals had crumbled to nothing. This was before the repros were available, and at that point, something was better than nothing.

To clarify, they will not lay down correctly in the "wrong" body style.

As far as I know, there is nothing available that fits properly aside from recycled OEM parts
I tried even going as far as cutting the piece that tucks behind the quarter trim. It just would not fit correctly.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I tried even going as far as cutting the piece that tucks behind the quarter trim. It just would not fit correctly.

Agreed 100%.

I tried heating, also a no-go.

Wonder how the "universal" repros fit?

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Thanks very much to everyone for your help. I didn't know about the '78-'80 Cutlass and Century interchange. This will help. Thanks again.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor