Back to race fuel 565 BBC build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Well it has almost been 6 years since I built my pump gas 565 Big Block Chevy for my Monte which was a detuned version of my 555 BBC I previously built and I decided this summer since I am building my 86' Regal to be my cruiser car I don't have to try and dual purpose the Monte anymore.
Another reason is I am finding that Ethanol in pump gas is eating away at the fuel system in my Monte and yes I could run straight race fuel to solve that issue but I figured I might as well take full advantage of it if I am going to run it anyway and build a high compression engine again.
So my new pistons are JE 13.6:1 hollow dome race pistons at 4.600 bore and the rods are Howards Cams Ultimate Duty Forged Billet Rods that weigh in at 756 grams per rod compared to my Eagle L-19 rods that weigh in at 805 grams each.
I have also already bought my larger Comp Cams billet roller cam with the 4/7 swap and a set of Cometic MLS head gaskets.

Reactions: 2 users

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
Good God, I looked at the YouTube link in your site- awesome.....!!!!! Would you mind posting more pics/videos of this car? Really incredible build, thanks

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Ever thought about putting it on alcohol - some HP to be had and a lot cheaper than racing fuel. The Regal is looking good, not wasting any time(or money) getting it done.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
There are a few stations that do not have ethanol in their premium gas.
Yeah, I am already committed to converting back and I have been contemplating this for a couple years now.
My convertor and exhaust were far better matched for my previous set up.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Ever thought about putting it on alcohol - some HP to be had and a lot cheaper than racing fuel. The Regal is looking good, not wasting any time(or money) getting it done.
I have weighed the options between the two over the past couple years and the price difference makes it tempting.
I have looked into the benefits of alcohol and some of the drawbacks and still have not ruled it out as an option.
The Regal is coming along, I have the fender on and it fits OK and I just used the GN exhaust hangers you gave me and made brackets for the Olds exhaust to mount to it.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I thought I would take some time to weigh all the rods just to verify them and they are all 758 grams each with no variance and considering they say approx. 762 grams on their site I will take it.
And just to check my scales accuracy I weighed one JE piston (which barely fit on the scale) that is supposed to be 599 grams and what do you know it is dead on.
Check out the fancy case my rods came in and they will go back in their corrosion inhibiting paper when I put them away until spring.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor