Backspacing and Offset

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
stock g-body spacing is 4.75 IIRC
you can use offest or BS and width, but most wheel companies advertise the offset, not the BS.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
megaladon6 said:
stock g-body spacing is 4.75 IIRC
you can use offest or BS and width, but most wheel companies advertise the offset, not the BS.

I think it's 3.75 or maybe 4.

4.75 will most likley put you into the frame.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
yeah, sorry 3.75, and i think 4 if you count the lip of the rim

442Jayp

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2010
Does anyone kno how wide i can get my back tires. i was thinking of going 275 in the rear but i dont want it to rub..can someone let me kno if it will rub

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
this a combined problem back spacing & tire buldge ....
cause when a tire buldges pass the rim lip it takes away space between rim and frame ....
at 4.0 b/s with a 275 /50 on a 8 inch rim I doubt it woulndt rub on frame .....specialy in tight curves !
if fits, it will be limit !

the stock 7" rims are at 3.75" b/s .....

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
As I understand it the most important thing is to get the centerline of the wheel lined up with the middle of the wheel bearings, very important for the fronts, maybe a little leeway on a solid axle rear.
This is to avoid bump steer conditions and putting an offset load on the bearings.

Roger.

87PearlRegal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 20, 2011
Dayton, Oh
I am going the stocker route with my Regal, and I want some real meat in the back. I am looking at 15x10's in the back and 15x8's in front. What kind of back spacing should I be lookin for in the back?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
rustyroger said:
As I understand it the most important thing is to get the centerline of the wheel lined up with the middle of the wheel bearings, very important for the fronts, maybe a little leeway on a solid axle rear.
This is to avoid bump steer conditions and putting an offset load on the bearings.

Roger.

we run offset rims on our race car and it has no effect on the bearings. As for bump steer a wheel cannot create or improve a bump steer issue. Here's how we measure and correct the bump steer and it's done without the wheel

images

Reactions: 1 user

steve1987

n00b
Nov 18, 2011
i am currantly in the wheel department and want to pick up some 15 x 10 champion wheels i have a ford 9 in that was made to be same length as stock rear was wondering if anyone els on here has 10 in rears and could help out with bs and i plan to run a 9 in slick reason for buying 10 in rim is because next wint i plan to mini tub

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
Just a lil something I came across:

backspacing-chart2.gif

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor