Backspacing and Offset

Brandon

Apprentice
Oct 7, 2008
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Hmm I was wondering this too.
Would I be safe with an 15" rim with width of 8", a bs of 3.75 and an offset of -18mm? (for front (225/60 tire) and back(275/60 tire))?

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
there is no way that a 10" wide wheel wil fit in the wheelwell at stock or owered height !

an 8" wheel with 3.75 b/spacing will fit tight

CUTLASSJESSE

Greasemonkey
Jul 31, 2009
Pecatonica,IL
i run10" wide rears with 4.5 offset also have another set of 15x10 with 4" bs with 10" slicks just have to watch tire buldge i had to roll the lip on the fenders for the slicks

Blackout

n00b
Oct 3, 2012
I am looking at 18" by 8" boss wheels with 4.5" backspace. Does anyone know if these will work with 255 45 18 on the rear and 235 40 18 on the front?

Reactions: 1 user

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Its really a lot more simple than it may seem guys ... get a straight edge and a tape measure ... just measure stuff :idea:

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
The amount of Back Space a rim has is the distance from the mounting surface to the rear face of the rim.

The Offset of the rim is the relation of the mounting surface to the center line of the rim. A positive offset mounting surface is outward of center negative offset is inward of center line.

PHONZ

n00b
Feb 17, 2013
Re: New Users

Hey everyone I'm new to this so bare with me! I got a 79 Monte Carlo Landau and I want to put 225/55/16 on z28 rims. the prob is I need to put spacers on first but dont know the right width cause im finding out the distance between the front and rear axle are different lenghts so im thinking 2" on front and 1.5" on rear to make the rim offset correct with a 8"rim front and rear . But I just dont know if thats right ,So can some body please let me know if im correct. I dont want tires rubbing anywhere just want a good look and performance nothing fancy.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012

PHONZ said:
Hey everyone I'm new to this so bare with me! I got a 79 Monte Carlo Landau and I want to put 225/55/16 on z28 rims. the prob is I need to put spacers on first but dont know the right width cause im finding out the distance between the front and rear axle are different lenghts so im thinking 2" on front and 1.5" on rear to make the rim offset correct with a 8"rim front and rear . But I just dont know if thats right ,So can some body please let me know if im correct. I dont want tires rubbing anywhere just want a good look and performance nothing fancy.

If they are stock Z28 rims you should not need spacers. 2" spacers and for that matter 1.5" spacers are large spacers. An 8" rim will fit fine on a Monte.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH

CWPottenger said:
If they are stock Z28 rims you should not need spacers.

That would depend on what generation Z28 he's referring to. You'd need around a 1.5"-2" spacer to fit 4th gen rims.

Norrisboy79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 22, 2013
I want to go with a 10 inch rear wheel on my 79 cutlass what bc do I need to make it clear everything and not stick out of the wheel well I'm talking about weld prostars by the way. Can anybody help me????

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor