Backspacing on a 17x9 wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

smiths86cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2016
Ok so I found a set of 17x9 Hot Wheels mags with a 5" backspacing with a 245/45 17 inch tire. Can I run these on my 1986 Cutlass Supreme with no rubbing? Or should I stay closer to a 4.5 inch backspace. I plan on doing the LS rear brake swap and blazer front brake swap also. Thanks in advance
00m0m_cssQB5SkRC7_600x450.jpg

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I'm thinking you're gonna need a spacer to avoid rubbing the frame. The only way to truly know is try to mount it, and see where the contact points are....helpful hint: put some white chalk on backside of wheel/tire so that it will transfer to the interference areas.

Unfortunately, our cutlass' don't have the wheelwell space like the monte's and regals due to the squared off openings.

Reactions: 1 user

smiths86cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2016
I'm thinking you're gonna need a spacer to avoid rubbing the frame. The only way to truly know is try to mount it, and see where the contact points are....helpful hint: put some white chalk on backside of wheel/tire so that it will transfer to the interference areas.

Unfortunately, our cutlass' don't have the wheelwell space like the monte's and regals due to the squared off openings.

Yeah I figured the odd wheel well shape kind of limits things...I found a set of the above wheels and tires for $650 but I might just keep the ones I have and get the blazer rear disk brake setup to run 15 inch wheels.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
That's pretty friggin cheap for wheels and tires. It would almost be worth getting them and running a hubcentric spacer to move the wheels out.

Maybe one of the guys with LS rear brakes can confirm, but i believe those brakes move the wheels out a tad.
I have blazer front brakes that are ready to install, just need tires for my new 17's. The blazer fronts move the wheels out 3/16" per side.

smiths86cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2016
That's pretty friggin cheap for wheels and tires. It would almost be worth getting them and running a hubcentric spacer to move the wheels out.

Maybe one of the guys with LS rear brakes can confirm, but i believe those brakes move the wheels out a tad.
I have blazer front brakes that are ready to install, just need tires for my new 17's. The blazer fronts move the wheels out 3/16" per side.
Yeah and the tires have plenty of tread left Ventus HR2's

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
If i were you...i would be all over those! I've got $800 wrapped up in just my wheels which is about what those cost new. You could even make a custom little center cap sticker for em.
20160609_191651.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Unless the LS brake conversion does something dramatic, you should be OK in back. My 15x7s SSIIIs and their 4.0 BS had 1.7 to the frame in back with 245 rubber. So, a 17x9 with 5.0 and 245 rubber should give you .7 . . . I'd be a little concerned up front though. I went ahead and stayed 4.0 on my 17x8s up there to push things out with my 245s plus pushing those fronts out so the outside of the tread is closer to the outside of the rear is supposed to help just a little with the tendency to under steer. But nothing a spacer won't help if you want to give them a try? . . . Nice wheels and tires to boot at a VERY nice price BTW!

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
17196.jpg

These wheels are 4.5 back space but are 17x8 with a 245/45R17 tire. I have rear disc brakes as well.

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
I am running 17x9.5 rears with 5" BS on my SS with 285/40's. She is close but clears the frame, since I lowered her 2" the tires will actually rub the wheel well lip if you go through a big dip in the road fast and the rear springs compress quickly.
IMAG0823.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
My 17x9 Torque Thrusts with 5" would clear just the wheel itself but very tight. When I put the tires on they rubbed. Frame notch fixed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor