backspacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

STONEYH

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 25, 2005
Grove City Ohio
Sorry,I know theres alot about this on the site,but I was just wondering. What would be a typical or good backspacing on a g-body. I am looking at wheels on ebay and dont want to end up with the wheels outside the wheelwells. Fifteen or sixteen inch would be good enough. Just to be sure the bolt pattern is 4.75 right?

betsy84

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Factory 14x6 wheels have a backspacing of 3.5", the bolt pattern is 5x4.75"

I run an aftermarket 15x8 wheel in the back and 15x7 front, both with 3.75" of backspacing. For a 10" wheel you'll want about 5" of backspacing. The width is what to watch out for, not so much as diameter of the wheel, in terms of backspacing. A 17x8 wheel with 3.75" bs would work for example, same as 16x8 with 3.75" bs, the bs is the key.

betsy84

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
http://www.oldspower.com/photopost/show ... puser=4234

here's a link to my gallery. It'll give you an idea of where the wheel will sit with my specs. No spacers, nothing. Make sure that the hub of the wheel is big enough to accept the hub on your car. If it it bigger, you must get a hub adapter, that goes on the inside of the wheel so it sits true on your hub, otherwise the studs are holding the weight of the vehicle and is potentially unsafe.

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
May I ask what size tires you're running?

I am also thinking of upgrading my wheels to 15"s and was wondering about the backspacing. I am looking for a set of SSIIs, 15x7 or 15X8 but was wondering of the backspacing. I know the 14x7 have 3.5, but the 15-SSII have 4.25 ~ 4.5, depending on the width. I'm thinking there shouldn't be a problem as the 442s had 15s but just want to make sure before I get a set or a different wheel style.

Anyone have any info on putting these on a G-Body? :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor