Bad Battery? Alternator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Drivin around, specially that it's gotten colder, my volt gauge will only read about 12ish volts, especially at low idle in gear (5-600rpm), but once i get going again it goes upto 14.5. Lights get brighter too. Any ideas? The battery was in a garage on a shelf from Feb '17 to last November. It's only 2 years old. Cranks good, doesn't slow down at all.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Check connections first but I am leaning toward a dirty commutator in the alternator. I don't know what alternator you have but if you full field it for 10 seconds that may clean off the grunge

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
Makes me think it is something to do with the alternator because you mentioned how the lights get brighter. I had similar issues a few times where my lights would get brighter, dim, depending on how fast the engine was revving. Alternator was the culprit and a new one solved the issue. If you have a voltage tester check the battery before you start the car. Then check it after you start and if the alternator is working you should see the voltage going up because the battery is being charged like it should. The readings in the 13-14 volt range are normal, I think, if the system has been working ok?

I would check your battery connections and make sure your wires and connections are clean and secure. Bad ground connections can mess things up. If you can have the battery checked you never know with them too. Weird electrical issues can occur when a battery seems ok but it is not.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
What have you turned on, the rear window defogger and blower fan takes alot of juice. What is the engine's revs at idle?

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
My reman 12si 94 amp does that same thing, has since day one, acts like a one wire voltage regulator. Does it stay charging once revved up a bit?

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
Check your belts! make sure that its tight and not slipping.

Chris Tomas

Apprentice
Jan 6, 2018
If its not your belts, its the alt, my oldsmobile has been giving me charging problems lately, and one of the replacement alts i tried did exactly what your did, go get it tested for free at partsource cause chances are its shot.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
What have you turned on, the rear window defogger and blower fan takes alot of juice. What is the engine's revs at idle?
No rear defog, and blow motor is toast. No heat. Only thing that runs is my radio and my gauges (3 pd, volts, oil, temp, and tach). All wired correctly. Radio stuff is all stock 33 year old GM. Even the speakers. Sounds like sh*t.

Edit: I have noticed, that when the radio is ON, but turned all the way down, sometimes I hear static.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
What size pulley is on this alternator? That can have an effect on low speed charging
2.6" according to my digital calipers, probably closer to 2.5, 2.6 seems like an odd size. Measured on the face of it, don't know if it matters.
I never had a problem with this before. The alternator also sat on a shelf from Feb '17 to last November, but it's a mostly clean single car garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor