BAD LUCK AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Last year I did the engine/trans swap. Put the 3 main gauges in the console I made, oil pressure, volts, temp. So I put my new carpet in before the console went in ( hopefully) for the last time. The cars only been in the garage while I’m doing suspension and brake upgrades. I noticed a puddle of oil behind the passenger seat in/on the new carpet. Drained my oil including filter and only had 2 quarts come out. Gutted the interior to find out the friggin 1/8 oil line going to the oil pressure gauge was broken about a 1/4 inch from the back of the gauge.WTF? I sometimes just can’t win. One step forward 2 steps backwards.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Did you use the plastic tube that most gauges come with or upgrade to copper?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I've found that the local hardware store has it (copper) by the foot plus a good selection of ferrules and fittings. Way cheaper than a parts store kit too.
Sucks about the mess but at least you caught it before the engine pumped dry.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
Number one thing I do when installing oil pressure gauges that are mechanical I throw away the plastic tubing and get the copper tubing just never made sense to me why would they put that plastic nylon tubing in the gauge kit to running an oil pressure gauge and a hot engine bay one little nick or a little rub something hot now you got a major oil leak

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
In the past, I have used the plastic tubing for my oil pressure gauge. I guess you can say I was lucky that I had no mishaps using it. However, if I had to install a mechanical oil pressure gauge again, I would absolutely use copper tubing and toss the plastic tubing in the trash and not take a gamble.

Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I've found that the local hardware store has it (copper) by the foot plus a good selection of ferrules and fittings. Way cheaper than a parts store kit too.
Sucks about the mess but at least you caught it before the engine pumped dry.
What size tubing do I ask for at the hardware store?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
1/8", as I recall.

Many suggest putting a vibration loop in it to help prevent cracking

Copper line was OE on trucks that used mechanical gauges in the 60s/70s.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I use the braided line with swivels. They also come with different adapters and lengths, 3, 4, 5, and 6 ft available. Make sure you get one long enough, I used one barely long enough, 4 ft and it sprung a leak under the hood. I switched to a 5 ft one, no issues. You do need a 1/16" adapter for Sunpro gauges which is very hard to find.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor