Bad news totay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Not every Dodge burns oil, although I have owned a couple that did, a 77 Dodge Van with a 318 transplant and our 2010 Challenger with the POS 3.5 V6. The Magnum in my Dakota uses none, that still doesn't make it good. Impressive it still has very good oil pressure, with the oil resembling a milk shake 3 times, one time was weeks till I felt like pulling the heads and intake. Next time, it is out of here. Our 2017 Challenger is the least Dodge, Dodge, I have ever owned. You know, half *ss engineering and piss poor quality control. Almost 100,000 Km, so far a horn, filters, oil and one set of tires. It has been pushed very hard, including towing a boat. Problem is finding the Kleenflo Combustion Chamber Cleaner, across the border and especially in California. I went to buy it at Acklands-Granger one time. He said he couldn't sell it to me, it was a harmful product. The only place I can find it is Napa locally, buy all they have every time I am there. Canadian Tire carry other products of theirs but not that one. You could try GM top engine, combustion cleaner, as well as their engine flush. I know a 20 year mechanic used both to fix his 2.9 Ford V6. I actually gained oil pressure on an Olds 307 that had a pile of miles on it with the GM engine flush, at least 5 psi gained. You know where we were buying all the GM products at? A Ford dealer! Ford's glass cleaner was horrible, GM's was really good.

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I did he was right. All cylinders were between 160-167 #4 was 45. Would you recommend engine teardown or look for another engine?
First thing I'd do is find out what's causing the low compression before making the decision to replace the engine or rebuild the engine. Lots of spit balling on here but you gotta diagnose what's causing the lack of compression. To determine if it's bad rings in that cylinder or valves do a WET COMPRESSION TEST (pour in some oil, check compression if it goes up = bad rings, it doesn't go up = bad valve(s)). If you eliminate the rings being bad and it's something in the head/valve train you won't need to replace the engine, you may have to have the head rebuilt or swap on a rebuilt unit. You're talking significantly less cost in parts and labor.

If it is just a valve issue and you can find a place to do the work yourself you could get this done for very cheap. I feel bad for the folks of Sacramento where it's supposedly illegal to do major car repairs yourself, but there is a DIY shop there with mixed reviews http://sacdiyccc.com/

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The other thing to do is put an oil pressure gauge on it. Low oil pressure means a total overhaul.

Olds G's

Greasemonkey
Apr 6, 2020
CT
The engine in my 1984 Cutlass Supreme Brougham is the original 307 Y. It suffered very similar issues as I-AM-JD described. I did a compression check and noted two of my cylinders were very low compared to the other six. I then removed the valve covers, disconnected the HEI and cranked the engine over. Sure enough, the two cylinders noted had intake valves and exhaust valves with little or no action at all. I replaced the cam, cam bearings to fix it. Since I was in the neighborhood, I also replaced the nylon timing gear set with steel and new chain, replaced the head gaskets, replaced the oil pan gasket, replaced the engine mounts, replaced the water pump, replaced the fuel pump. All with NOS or AC Delco parts except for the timing chain/gear set. I did this in my buddies garage since I too live in a very restrictive community.

The cam replacement fixed the issue. I still have the cam. This happened at about 89K miles of a very, very well cared for and garaged car. I was told by a friend at GM that there was a bad batch of cams for my year/engine per it's VIN. Car runs great and very reliable.

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
not sure where u located. but I've got a spare 3.8 eng on my stand i'd let go for $200. came outta a 81 regal with 57k on it. guys swapped to v8 for street car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor