Bad radio reception, rpm "whine"??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
Guys- after new stereo, windshield antenna, my radio station reception sucks and the rpm "whine" is really bad-

What's the cause and what's the fix? I do have a powder coated frame, maybe bad grounding I need to grind and re-screw straps, bolts to?

TheCoroner

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2006
Did you install the new equipment, or did you have it done?
I think you're spot on with the grounding guess. This was a common problem in the car audio world, they used to refer to it as alternator whine. The fix was always improving existing grounds, and/or adding an additional ground wire.

If possible I'd rig up a different antenna for testing purposes. It doesn't have to be mounted, just plugged into the radio, that'll eliminate the radio or the new antenna as the problem with reception.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Did you add a new ignition system? If so add a noise filter in line and it will solve it.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Ground both the radio and the antenna braided shield to a clean chassis ground. The battery is the primary noise filter in the electrical system. Is it grounded to the body as well as the block and frame?

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
Great info guys- exactly what I thought- many times when the frames are powdercoated, bad grounds screw it all up- I had it built by a friend and we're both learning on the electrical stuff!!- thanks!!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the radio itself has alot to do with reception, the Kenwood 501 I had would bring in 2 channels with the small powered antenna I have while my Alpine 149BT will bring in more than 6 with the same car and antenna. I don't care much for reception since I listen to XM and usb sticks

• Agree

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Alternator whine and bad reception are two different things. My Off road miata doesn't even have an AM/FM radio and there is a little whine when I turn up volume.

If improving the grounds doesn't work, an inline noise filter on the power wire should take out most of it.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor