Banjo bolts not playing a good tune !

Status
Not open for further replies.

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
I posted a comment about this in a different forum but got no responses.

I have replaced the stock calipers on my 87 MC And now suffer from leaking banjo bolt fittings.
I've tried 6 different pairs of sealing washers (copper) without any luck. I got a torque spec from my manual
that says 22 ft lbs. did that still leaked. Tried up to 35 ft lbs and still leaking. New bolts ,new washers
But bleeding the brakes has been a real bit*h. Bubbles everywhere. Finally got the driver side to clear up.
and bleed ok. The passenger side has been impossible. The last attempt at bleeding allowed for the
bleeder screw to be closed off and bubbles were still coming off the line going to the cup.
Not sure why. I did get a pair of speed bleeders and the Aluminum sealing washers with the rubber o ring
From Earls #178006 I've heard the will work to seal these lines up. any of you guys tried this trick
please chime in. I'm stumped as to why this is happening.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
When I replaced my front brake hoses with the Russell steel braided type, I believe I used the aluminum washers(that came in the kit) instead of the copper. They seem to seal well.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Sounds like junk calipers to me.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Check the banjo sealing surface at the hose. Most if not all replacement banjo crush washers are slightly larger in diameter then the OE part and the edge of the new washer may not be sitting on a clean surface. I usually lightly wire brush them and wipe with clean towel soaked with rubbing alcohol.
Also as 81Regal suggested check for damaged sealing surfaces on the calipers.

Hope this helps!
Bob S

Reactions: 1 user

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
So far all of the leaking has been from the banjo bolts sealing area. The lines are not new maybe
3 or 4 years old the old brakes did not leak. It could be the calipers, I got them from Rock auto.
May have to get another set if this does not work out well. MC also about 3 years old.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Try your old washers or get some different copper/brass washers?

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
Try your old washers or get some different copper/brass washers?
Been through 6 different pair of washers so far. I'm looking at replacing the lines. and making sure the caliper sealing area
is clean and burr free. And then see what happens. Thanks for your response.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Couple stupid questions, cause I've seen it before....

You are using crush washers on both sides of the hose block, right?

Have you checked to make sure the bolts are not bottoming in the calipers?

I have also seen the line bottom on the casting before seatng when not clocked correctly, although this is not likely on a G body.

Last edited:

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
Couple stupid questions, cause I've seen it before....

You are using crush washers on both sides of the hose block, right?

Have you checked to make sure the bolts are not bottoming in the calipers?

I have also seen the line bottom on the casting before seatng when not clocked correctly, although this is not likely on a G body.
Yes I checked all that, Old bolts were stock OEM , New bolts were exactly the same length .
My manual stated 22 ft lbs on the banjo bolts. I just saw a thread with a 32 ft lb spec.
I'm considering replacing the lines, only $16 with the chance that the sealing surface of the old lines on one or both
sides could be bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor