Barrett Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHernandez

G-Body Guru
May 25, 2009
Jackson,TN
just saw a '87 GN with 9600 original miles sell for $26,000 and a '86 LeSabre Grand National FWD 1of120 sell for 18,000...the latter was ugly as hell might i add just thought i'd share that :blam:

While I am all for people making cash when they sell their vehicle, I think Barrett-Jackson sometimes does more harm than good for the hobby.

More and more people watch that auction and then think their rotting or barely running POS is worth a ton of money, when they should actually pay someone to haul it off for them. Some makes / models are worse than others but all are starting to get into the ridiculousphere.

I've noticed that every year less & less real enthusiats & car people attend, and more & more people who are just trying to pad their collection or wallets are actually there, hence the blurring the line between collector versus enthusiast / car person. Past few years you see cars that were just bought maybe a year or two prior being put right back on the auction block.

Kind of sad really 🙁

Barret Jackson does do more harm than good. It is basically nothing but high dollar rollers and it does not give an accurate idea of how the car hobby industry is doing. IMO Mecum auto auction is more realistic in what cars sell for and gives a good idea of how the hobby is doing during these times.

I agree with the above statement that Barret just makes people think their POS is worth stupid money. That's why people want stupid money, for example, for mopars. Back in the 90's, people could barely get $5k for a 69 dodge dart gt. Now people want over 12k for what they think is gold when it is just a baseline slant or inline 6 car. I just got lucky with my 71' Roadrunner that's #'s matching and I know that car is worth money because its one of those mopar pedigree cars. That guy only wanted 10k and he wanted to turn it into a drag racer. Luckily we were able to get him down to 7.5 which isn't too bad, even though I could have gotten a completely restored car for that kind of money.

I have a feeling at some point people are going to realize that trying to buy a car from the 60's isn't that easy and is very expensive. That's when people will start looking at our cars more instead of just the GN and turbo regals. It sucks because all those investors you see at these auctions are hoarding all the cars like the grand nationals, superbirds, and chargers and don't drive them like us real car hobbyists would do. It really is sad.

As far as the collector/hobbyist issue, the malibu is my first car and I'll never get rid of it and the 71' roadrunner has always been my dream car ever since I saw Richard Petty racing his. I really wanted a superbird but we all know how much those are selling for if you watch the auctions. If your just collecting these cars just to sit on them and make a profit in a year or so, you are not an enthusiast. If you actually drive and work on your cars and love them for more than just money than that's an enthusiast.

patmckinneyracing said:
Barret Jackson does do more harm than good. It is basically nothing but high dollar rollers and it does not give an accurate idea of how the car hobby industry is doing.
Luckily we were able to get him down to 7.5 which isn't too bad, even though I could have gotten a completely restored car for that kind of money.

Ever heard of supply and demand ?
What kind of car can you get fully restored for 7.5k ? :rofl:

Its called go look on craigslist. You left out a factor of the economy and that everyone is hurtin for money. There are plenty of hot cars on there for right around 8 to 10k. It's easy to talk someone down off their price if they need money

Dont get me wrong, the cars at that auction are nice as hell, and worth quite a bit of money, but the prices some of those cars go for is absoultley ridiculous. Nothing but a great big "ive got more money than you" contest in my opinion. Occasionally i do see something go for a fair price tho.

Really? you think you can buy that exact car (options, and attention to detail) for $7500.00 I need to start shopping were you do cause most of these cars I would be affraid to drive even on Sundays.
Just the opinion of a silly Canadian

i saw that last night around 1am or so. the lasaber gn didnt even have forced induction and to me looked like a cop-out. yeah its the "last grand national"(bs) but still all it was was a black lasaber with some badges on it. come on now, thats just douch-baggery. :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Everyone thinks that their car is Barret Jackson quality.. in reality, I think some of the sale of Barret Jackson are set up.. You kinda see the same people buy every year. and the auctioneers often keep the bid longer,... and out sell the average Joe. I know if I could afford a big block 1967 stingray, I could buy a whole bunch of other cars. Oh I enjoy watching the show don't get me wrong... I just don't argee with alot of their prices.. why should a car be worth a million dollars when kids don't have shoes? Oh because it's all about the demand.. and how people want to be looked at.. Oh I know that I have a good life.. I drive some nice cars.. but I just don't agree with Barret Jacksonism a vehicle.. No reserve.. only certain cars are showcased.. and only a certain amount of time is on some cars while others are given carte blanche..

show me an auction free of through the roof prices and nice cars that are real cars not fantasy cars,
That is why the Dupont Registery was made..

My friend's dad sold his 68 GT 500 for peanuts compared to what they were getting today..Heck the fake GT 500s are taken in more than his original did back 15 years ago..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor