Bathroom Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougfather

Master Mechanic
Jul 11, 2006
Altoona PA
So, for about 6 weeks now, I have a finished bathroom. It started with a 4 A.M water leak from the toilet supply line and took just over 2 months and about $4300. Bad news is it wiped out the G-body budget and has dwindled my interest in the car.

The day we moved in (Aug 2003):
normal_Bathroom_-_before_1.jpg

Before the renovation
normal_Bathroom_-_before_2.JPG

normal_Bathroom_-_before_3.JPG

During the work, I had to replaced some rotted floor boards under the toilet that was not related to the gushing supply line mentioned above. What a leaking tank to bowl seal and a leaking wax ring can do. Decided to add some cross members while it was opened up for more support.

normal_Bathroom_-_toilet_during_5.jpg

The toilet flange was broke on the sides, so a repair ring was needed:

normal_Bathroom_-_toilet_during_3.JPG

After the toilet, then under the sink. After removing all the loose fill insulation, discovered yet another leak.

normal_Bathroom_-_sink_during_1.jpg

Sharkbite fittings save the day. Also note the galvanized drain piper threaded to copper. The was cut out and changed to PVC. I should have taken a picture of that pipe. Almost completely clogged shut.

normal_Bathroom_-_sink_during_2.jpg

The tub right after the moldy portion of the drywall (and the plaster underneath) was replaced and before the new shower surround (that work was hired out, along with the tub refinish)

normal_Bathroom_-_tub_shower_during_2.JPG

and the shower/tub completed

normal_Bathroom_-_tub_shower_finshed_1.jpg

The ugly wall paper over the plaster. There was drywall over this that I removed (3/8") that needed extensive patch work. I replaced it with 1/2" purple board instead.

normal_Bathroom_-_sink_during_4.jpg

The floor. Almost done (another hired out task). It looks like tile, but it's not!!
normal_Bathroom_-_after_the_floor_1.jpg

And the final product

normal_Bathroom_-_after_2.JPG

normal_Bathroom_-_after_1.JPG

normal_Bathroom_-_after_4.JPG

The air admittance valve under the sink. Works so much better with some venting.
normal_Bathroom_-_after_5.jpg

And now, I get to hear comments and questions.

oldiejams

Master Mechanic
Jan 21, 2011
Tucson
when i first saw the title i was thinking i was opening a thread about a car whos engine was built in a bathroom. but this is also cool. looks really good.

rccktmn2

Greasemonkey
Mar 11, 2008
Paulding Ohio
Looks awesome, I can understand loosing interest after a remodel job, it took me 2 years to totally remodel my entire house, completely shot my car budget and I seriously thought of selling both cars and all the parts but I didn't. Just think it's paid for and if you do get rid of it what are the chances of finding another one in that good of shape. I didn't want to be the old guy at the car show saying "yea I had one of those once". Good luck.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
End result looks great ! I too bought a house that had carpet in the bathroom :wtf: It used to have those stupid glass doors as well until my 10 year old slipped and cut her leg up pretty bad on the track a couple days after we moved in.
Couple of questions :
If it's not tile on the floor is it a roll vinyl product or peel and stick tiles ?
How does the air admittance valve work ? I know it's a plumbing vent but how does it keep the vapour out and is it expensive ?

Either way great job, your family spends more time in the bathroom than the project car so it's money well spent in my books.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Came out nice. You had brass, oak, marble, and teal carpet? Where's the Nagel print on the wall and Delorean keys on counter :lol: ? I had a similar situation with my kitchen a couple years ago. Started with a bad wiring connection behind the 39 year old oven and ended in a total remodel. New appliances, counter tops, cabinetry, paint, etc. Honestly it was really overdue. The money spent was well worth the points it made with my wife. It delayed some car projects but in the grand scheme not so bad.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
I bet the wife is happy. I did a lot of this type of work growing up in a 20 year project/remodel house, its fun stuff :mrgreen:

lg1200

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2011
Looks great bro...i'm about to remodel my kids bathroom as well. The 'tile' looks damn good. Now get back to stacking your chips for the car..

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Mine wasn't quite so extensive , It started as one leaking faucet.
Where I screwed up was letting my Wife go to the home center with me.
It "Snowballed into Two of everything" Because we cant leave the other bathroom,
With the old and now mismatched sink ,Faucet and counter tops Cabinet . ECT... :wink: :oops:

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    888 KB · Views: 1,366

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Very nice work, I'm dreading when I tear into mine :rofl: .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor