Battery Cables and Battery Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Finally got back to working on my car. I wasnt able to do much for close to 7 weeks and it drove me crazy. I want/need this done.

Today I started working on the electrical again. I tried to test out the relay that I bought to fix the neutral safety switch issue. Things arent working right due to the redneck way I have everything hooked up. Ive been using jumper wires to power up the starter from the battery thats sitting on the floor next to the car. I know, not a great idea. Piss poor connections. Im well aware of this but I hoped to figure it all out quickly. Its not working out the way I planned. LOL
That being said, I want to pick up a new battery and cables to finally hook up everything permanently. This leads to my big questions. Whats everyone using for a battery ? Top or side post ? And what gauge cable ? Hook up the ground to the alternator bracket like original or is there a better location ? What about the lug at the end of the starter cable ? Straight, 45, or 90 degree ?
Im planning on running the positive cable along the side of the motor up to the front. Im thinking one insulated clamp will work and then bend it to the battery.
Since most of the wirings finished I dont want to use a remote solenoid.
Any info will be appreciated.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Well, since I just bought my battery here is my .02. After research and help from the guys here I ended up buying an Odyssey AGM from my local Autozone. It should give me plenty of juice for the EFI, fans, relays, etc that I have.
I'm running 1/0 gauge from the starter to the trunk and will hook it to a circuit breaker, then to the battery from there which will be in a box.

If you're keeping the battery in the engine, it'll obviously be easier. Either top or side posts work fine, I chose top post. I would ground the battery direct to the frame, that's the best place I think. Remember, you can never have enough grounds!!!!

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I should have mentioned, its in the stock location under the hood. I was planning on using an AC Delco battery. Ive had them in my other cars and theyve always been really reliable.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'm set up for stock cables. My negative cable runs to the lower alternator bracket (pulley/ bracket came off an '86) & I'm planning run another from that location to the frame with another cable. As noted above, there can never be enough grounds. Make sure you even have a ground from the battery to the fender like the OE cables did.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I find the aftermarket side post cables always have bolts that are about 1/4 too short. I have just a derpy superstart (oreillys?) Battery. Works fine. Worked fine during our past -15*f high temp winter.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I always make new cables out of 1/0 fine strand welding cable and just did that for my Regal since I moved the battery to the passenger side.
I also use a 1/0 to power the alternator and upgraded the factory grounds along with adding a few more, I say you can't have too many grounds especially with a trunk mount battery like my Monte.
I also have both the Regal and the Monte wired with a remote solenoid so there are no live wires going to the starter unless I am cranking it over.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
So this morning I took a quick trip to a speed shop, two marine supply stores and an old school auto parts.
The guy in the speed shop showed me 3 different sizes of welding cable and the fittings that he carried that get crimped or screwed on to them.
The marine supplies had marine grade cable thats tinned and has a smoother insulation. It looks like regular automotive cable but its a bit more flexible. Ive used marine grade wire on both cars and I like working with it especially when I solder on ends.
The auto parts had regular 2ga battery cables in both top and side terminal configurations. Crazy as it sounds I think Im just going with that. Its what was on the car when I got it and it was fine. I dont have a track car. Not a lot of accessories. One thing that made me decide to use this is the battery terminals. I can get a cable for side or top posts with pigtails coming off it. I want one on the negative cable to use as a ground to the fender like the one thats on there now. The positive cable will have one that I can use as a feed for the 6AL instead of mounting a block on the inner fender.
What do you guys think ?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
What do you guys think ?
I am sure it will work fine , for me I like to upgrade and I buy a lot of stuff in bulk so I can make my 1/0 cables cheaper than you can buy your 2 gauge cables for plus I know they will be the exact length I need them to be.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor