Battery charging problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2019
Hello im sergio, new to this forum, i figured this would be the best place to ask about my cutlass’s problem. I have a 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham, the problem is a couple months ago the battery on the car died so i replaced the battery since also it was a really old battery , after a couple days the battery drained down to almost no voltage, so i recharged it brought it back and car was good for a couple days, but battery kept dying so i figured it was an alternator problem so i replaced it with a new one. Still had the same problem, i started to check grounds and connections all seem good and tight but i still cleaned them off, but car kept draining the battery. I noticed that when the car was in idle the voltage would be at normal (13v) but as soon as i placed it in drive or reverse it would drop to about 8v to almost nothing, with lights on it would drop all the way.
One day i took off the main power terminal while car was on, an voltage went right back up as if was fixed i would place terminal back on battery n it would drop again and engine would bog down . I was wondering if any of you guys might have been in a similar problem . If so i would greatly appreciate your help.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
"I noticed that when the car was in idle the voltage would be at normal (13v) but as soon as i placed it in drive or reverse it would drop to about 8v to almost nothing, with lights on it would drop all the way. "

Sounds to me like you got a bad alternator. Replace it.

-Gonz

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
For one thing, 13 Volts is barely charging. If a battery is low it should be closer to 14.5 volts. Is the light in the dash lighting up when it is under charging?

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
clean all your grounds...

That was my first thought, but he specifically mentioned he did it already.

Unless you meant "ALL The Grounds" as in he may not have done all of them...

-Gonz

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That was my first thought, but he specifically mentioned he did it already.

Unless you meant "ALL The Grounds" as in he may not have done all of them...

-Gonz

I saw that but I don;t know if he took the ground off and cleaned the contact point....

"i started to check grounds and connections all seem good and tight but i still cleaned them off"

Reactions: 1 user

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
I think the engine to firewall ground was my problem, honestly.. But, I did them all at the same time, so...

Either way, all grounds and their contact points, cleaned with sandpaper and tight.. not just one. Battery to frame AND both ends of the engine to frame ground.

-Gonz

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I think the engine to firewall ground was my problem, honestly.. But, I did them all at the same time, so...

Either way, all grounds and their contact points, cleaned with sandpaper and tight.. not just one. Battery to frame AND both ends of the engine to frame ground.

-Gonz
....and DIABOLICAL GREASE!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor