Battery Draw on '79 Cutlass Supreme

T

Tristanator

n00b
Jan 30, 2019
Hello everyone,

I have a question for you guys. My 1979 Cutlass Supreme Brougham has something that is drawing power from the battery when the car is not running. If I drive the car everyday (which I usually do in the summer as it is my daily) it's fine, and fires up right away. But if I leave it for more than two days, the car has no power whatsoever (won't crank, no lights etc.) and I have to recharge it.

It's defenetely not the battery as it is relatively new and has held it's charge 100% over the six month winter while it was disconnected from the car. I don't think it's the alternator either as the voltage measures right around 14V while the car is running, and fully charges the battery by the time I come back from driving it. I am also certain that it's not any of the obvious things like leaving a light on!

I find it very strange that there is something drawing power due to the fact that there are very few powered features in the car. I don't even have a stereo installed right now. The only thing I can think of is that there is an anti theft (immobilizer) system that has a small red blinking light. I know it wouldn't be the small LED but I'm wondering if there could be a larger draw coming from the immobilizer system while the car is turned off (maybe it's always running)?

Any help or insight would be very much appreciated. The car is in storage for another week, but I'd like to get some ideas so I can try and solve it soon.

Thanks!

M

maxi426

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 20, 2018
Try removing all connections from the alternator while it sits, then see if the battery stays up. The diodes inside the alternator can short, and cause a parasitic draw. The alternator may still charge, but usually at a reduced rate

M

Max Headroom

Greasemonkey
Sep 8, 2011
Maxi 426 could be right. See if you still pull 14 v after the battery is charged. If so, the problem could be the regulator system the same parasitic draw is still possible.
I had a short in my dome light kill my battery for a couple of months, before I finally got desperate enough to check it.
Also, be sure that the hot wire for the sound system is not shorted.

Steve Bakken

Steve Bakken

Apprentice
Feb 20, 2015
We just had this exact same problem on my son's '78. Turned out to be the driver's side door jamb button. One of the wires was grounding out just enough to draw from the battery, but not enough to actually turn on the dome lights or buzzer. Pulled it out, wrapped the connections with electrical tape, and the problem was gone.

hangar401

hangar401

Greasemonkey
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2019
Maybe look for short in the trunk light,hood light mine was the domf car sat for days,battery was too low to start the car

pontiacgp

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
While everything is off, put a conventional test line inline with the battery and the terminal. If there's a draw the light will be on. Start unhooking stuff until the light goes out- start at the alternator.
I use that method but I just pull fuses till I find the cucuit causing the problem, then track it down from there

Reactions: Rktpwrd
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
80elky Alternator troubles Electrical / Ignition / Starting 43
Emhendo Car Won't Start. Battery or Starter? General Discussion 11
69hurstolds 78 Series Battery Topper- Modified the 69hurstolds way General Discussion 3
R Redneck gangster s10 lowrider w/ lawn mower battery OFF TOPIC 7
DRIVEN Battery additive? General Discussion 18
pontiacgp Battery Tray General Discussion 5
84 W40 AC Delco battery General Discussion 18
C CUTLASS Battery charging problem New Users 9
8 Saving a dead battery? Electrical / Ignition / Starting 22
Tony1968 Battery to starter cable routing? Electrical / Ignition / Starting 17
ed1948 2013 Dodge Caravan Battery Blew Apart General Discussion 10
Gonzo1970 Replace your battery cables and clean your grounds! Electrical / Ignition / Starting 2
A 1987 EL Camino. Aircraft mechanic. Accidently touched battery leads backwards. General Discussion 20
M Battery Group Size Electrical / Ignition / Starting 11
M Battery Cables and Battery Question Electrical / Ignition / Starting 7
Injectedcutty HELP AGM BATTERY RECS--SELECTED!!! Electrical / Ignition / Starting 23
Bobbystill Alternator Battery post thread size? Electrical / Ignition / Starting 2
Stupidquestionspro HELP Blower motor voltage draw Electrical / Ignition / Starting 2
88 Gutlass 81-88 cutlass hood Wanted 0
Red78Calais4speed Cutlass shifters G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 2
M Serpentine Setup and Cutlass Condensor Cooling / Heating / AC 3
P NOS Oldsmobile Rocket Hood Ornament Emblem Cutlass Delta 88 G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 0
P Cutlass Grilles G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 1
Eddie Cutlass CUTLASS Replace TPS or Carb? Fuel / Air / Boost / Emissions 48
nickonometry tinted lights, euro cutlass Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 14
Eddie Cutlass TPS (Check Engine code 21) Fuel / Air / Boost / Emissions 4
O CUTLASS Valuation of a 1987 Cutlass General Discussion 42
Cutlass455 WANTED 81-87 Cutlass W30/W25 Hood (VFN) Wanted 0
7 New Pearl Jam Video has a later model G body Cutlass at the beginning... Photos, Videos, etc. 4
Kelvin's80442 79 cutlass grills Wanted 0
J Ac/ heater box removal 83 cutlass Cooling / Heating / AC 7
Eddie Cutlass CUTLASS NEW RIDE: ‘85 Cutlass Supreme Brougham Sedan. Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 5
Eddie Cutlass Greetings from San Diego New Users 9
nickonometry Cutlass front spoiler options Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 1
8 87 cutlass engine swap recommendation Engine / Swaps / Driveability 18
4 Late Model Bucket Seat Installation Interior 12
cruize1 WANTED 1987 1988 CUTLASS LH HEADLIGHT Wanted 0
K Cutlass to Monte Carlo A/C swap Cooling / Heating / AC 19
350Cutty **Moving Sale - Cutlass Front End $50. G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 9
S 84 cutlass drivability help Engine / Swaps / Driveability 1
O. D. Showtime FOR SALE Cutlass Console G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 11
blackonblack Turbo regal and cutlass parts G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 4
Dktalee Cutlass Dash Insert Overlays General Discussion 2
QS442 Edelbrock RPM Intake fitment on 79 Cutlass Engine / Swaps / Driveability 32
Blackout79 WANTED Cutlass GT Wanted 12
Drkuhar Need some 84 cutlass parts Wanted 2
88 Gutlass My 1988 Cutlass resto project G-Body Build Threads 16
Regalman08 FOR SALE Rare Cutlass 2 spoke steering wheel red G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 10
P 80 Cutlass Supreme T-Tops Only Question Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 5
Injectedcutty HELP Need to rebuild my 8.5" boys! Transmission / Rear End / Driveline 47