Battery in trunk - power to car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myles

Apprentice
Jun 17, 2011
Hi guys,

Putting battery in trunk, running 1gauge cable to starter. Still need power to the car, lights/ windows/ fusebox /etc.

I will have a start button & seperate ignition wire wired separately to distributer but still need power for car.

PICTURE shows origional wires that go to car. Right of pic is alternator, I believe left is starter wires.

Can I attach these starter wires to starter with my 1gauge cable? Will this give me power to car? Also have to figure out alternator wiring.

Thank you!
Preview attachment 20190120_141707.jpg

20190120_141707.jpg
2.3 MB

20190120_141707.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
why not run the cable to a ford style solenoid so can run the fusible link wires and the purple S wire to the solenoid, that way you only have to run one wire to the starter that is dead unless you are starting the car. You'll just need to add a wire from the battery cable terminal on the starter to the S terminal. You may also want to upgrade the grounds if you havn't already done that.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Myles

Apprentice
Jun 17, 2011
Thanks for the info GP.

I just dont know much about wiring and want to keep it as simple as possible, trying to keep it mostly stock except for the bat. In trunk and the push start basically

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Thanks for the info GP.

I just dont know much about wiring and want to keep it as simple as possible, trying to keep it mostly stock except for the bat. In trunk and the push start basically

there is a bunch of us who have relocated the battery to the trunk so ask away. I like the ford style solinoid with headers so the only wire going to the starter is dead when you are driving, You don't have to worry about any hot wires ending up un the headers. For the grounds I went from the battery to the body and down through the floor on the shelf to the frame, then in the front I went for the frame to the body and from the fram to the engine. I used 4 gauge for the grounds. I also run an 8 gauge wire from my alternator to the solenoid.

Myles

Apprentice
Jun 17, 2011
Ok good to know. I'm going to have to read up on solinoids. My other Malibu iv raced the hell out of is all stock wiring so I haven't done alot of electrical work.

At the moment I need to get power to the car itself, regardless of starting the motor.

-relating to the pic I posted, will those stock starter wires (from the harness) get me power to the fuse box / power windows ect. If they get 12v?

That's my biggest concern at the moment. Got car as roller, 80% done project and I dont know if anything even works.

If not those wires, do you know how I can get power to everything?

Thanks👍

Myles

Apprentice
Jun 17, 2011
Ok I have power to the car. The 2 red starter wires in the harness power entire car.

Originally i did not want to run through the harness, I got the car as a roller and the previous owner had bigtime problems with engine cutting out. He took the motor apart but i dont think it was that was the issue..
A LOT of the wiring under that dash is thrown together, bad grounds, wires twisted together, live wires hanging, etc.

Now that i have everything working, I'm thinking of leaving everything origional, except I'd like to run a seperate wire from battery to distributor for ignition signal with kill switch basically to rule out any potential bad wiring from previous owner.

Sounds good?

Electric water and fan will be on toggle switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor