Battery keeps dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Just as the title says. Charged my battery up yesterday, today after cranking a few times the battey dies. I suspect my mini starter may be going bad, pulling excessive amps and rapidly draining the battery. I tried a couple of different batteries and still having the same issue. Tomorrow after it recharges again I will perform a amp pull test on the starter.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
2nd you on the starter. If I were going to put my money on the wheel, that's the number I'd bet on.

• Agree

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
What is the voltage after charging?

Just shy of 13 volts after charging overnight. Performed a starter motor draw test. While cranking the battery voltage dropped to 8 volts then rebound to 9.5 volts. After ceasing cranking the battery voltage returned to 12.6 volts. A loss of .4 volts from a couple of cranking runs.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Batteries keep going bad in the car which is why I suspect that the starter may be bad and killing batteries.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Batteries keep going bad in the car which is why I suspect that the starter may be bad and killing batteries.
they keep going bad? I'd be more inclined to believe that you have a bad ground(s) somewhere and it's killing your batteries

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I have the negative battery cable going to one of the starter mounting bolts. Also have a CS130 alternator installed.

I did a starter draw test on my tractor as a control test. While cranking its voltage only drops to 9v and comes back to 10v. While the Regal drops down to 8v and only returns to 9.5v. The instructions for my carbonmpilevtester says a voltage drop of 9 or lower indicates a failing starter.

Last edited:

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
I have the negative battery cable going to one of the starter mounting bolts. Also have a CS130 alternator installed.

I did a starter draw test on my tractor as a control test. While cranking its voltage only drops to 9v and comes back to 10v. While the Regal drops down to 8v and only returns to 9.5v. The instructions for my carbonmpilevtester says a voltage drop of 9 or lower indicates a failing starter.
you're not talking about this are you?

1647495453497.png

I assume you are talking about this...
1647495601583.png

have you tried a digital tester like they use in-store at Advance Auto, similar to this model? it will do in-vehicle testing and check for starter current and alternator output at load and at idle

1647497019300.png

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor