Battery mount trunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
hey guys I am mounting my battery in the trunk I have a battery mount box and a bmw positive cable. I think i have figure out the ground but does anyone have a diagram I go off of for a reference ie I am running it to a cut off switch then to Ford starter solenoid. I have heard I have to run wires front the battery to the alternator to have it charge is this correct??

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I will tell how I set mine up, first my battery is mounted in the spare tire well from there I have 2/0 fine strand welding cable going to the cut off switch which I mounted on the deck near the passenger side.
The rest of my cables are 1/0 welding cable including the starter cable, the first one leaves the cut off switch and goes up to the remote solenoid which I have mounted on the heater case, I have 2 more 1/0 cables coming off the power side of the solenoid one goes in the passenger side kick panel to a power post and the other to the front of the car mounted to the core support with another power post from there another 1/0 cable goes directly to my alternator.
Now if you have a 1 wire alternator that cable will give power when the cut off switch is turned on. I have mine wired to a toggle so I have to manually turn it on.
I am also have a lot of grounds starting with a 1/0 cable coming off the battery going to the frame and a pair of 2 gauge coming off each engine mount to the frame and 2 braided grounds coming off the front of the block and a firewall ground.
Now I also run a DC Power 170 amp alternator and when the car is running with my Intrepid fans on high, my big 300 fuel pump, 16" pusher fan, trans fan, remote water pump and lights on I still see 14 volts at my gauge.
Grant it my set up is overkill for most applications but what Dc Power told me and I have found out myself is all these huge cables get the power where it needs to be with minimal resistance, I even have 2 gauge powering my two auxiliary fuse panels.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor