Battery Relocation

Status
Not open for further replies.

84_SS

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2015
Windsor, Ont
So I'm in the middle of relocating my battery to the trunk, my original plan was to put the battery down in the spare tire well. I have a 1984 Monte Carlo, so according to the NHRA rule book the battery box HAS to be bolted directly through the frame rail using 2 3/8 bolts. This is throwing a wrench into my plans. If i keep the battery up in the trunk surface it looks like its going to make battery removal a real PITA. Just curious where everyone is mounting their relocated battery boxes, and if maybe I'm worrying to much. I plan on drag racing the car but probably mostly just test and tune and messing around with my buddies. Thanks!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have not gone through tech with mine but when I installed mine I put it in the spare tire well which I first flattened a little on the bottom so I could bolt down a stainless steel battery tray and I mounted it with 4 grade eight 3/8" bolts and then I put two 3/8" rods mounted through the bottom with nuts on each end to secure the 3/16" steel hold down I fabricated and because I used a tray instead of a sealed box (for easier access) I also installed an aluminum firewall behind the backseat. Also my roll bars that go in the trunk are welded to the trunk floor and to the frame below.
Since my car would be considered a "stock bodied car" I consider my battery to be 100 % secure and I feel the techs will think the same way.
Figuring stock it was mounted to a plastic wheelwell with a plastic hold down and 1 tiny metric bolt..

I will also have to add a cut off switch to the outside where my license plate goes if I do plan on going to the track.

Reactions: 1 user

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
I used 3/8" all thread and 1 1/2" fender washers and bolted it to the truck floor under neath the rear RH speaker. It didn't eat up much trunk space that way. I'd be interested to know how it's possible to attach to the frame. I also made an aluminum "firewall" behind the rear seat. Cutoff switch is located behind the RH tail light, and figure if I take it to the track, I can take another tail light cut a hole for a push pole rod for the on off switch.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
when placing it on the ledge you could pass the bolts through the floor and fasten it to the cross member. The rule reads.."Relocated battery(s) must be fastened to frame or frame structure with a minimum of two 3/8-inch-diameter bolts." You can use grommets on the floor sheet metal so they can allow any side movement and for the top you could use heavy springs to keep tension on the box and allow the body a little movement on the body bushings.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
When I first set up mine I had dual full size batteries mounted on the rear shelf under the right speaker (before the roll bar install) but I later changed to a single Optima staggered cell battery and decided the tire well was far more accessible since I have a rear fuse accessory panel and a battery maintainer wired in plus sometimes I have to jump a car parked behind me so it is also easy to put cables on.
Neither the deck or tire well would be a direct mount to the frame and I have seen plenty mounted in both locations, I think tech is mainly looking for a secure mount with proper hardware and a firewall if the battery is not enclosed.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
An idea

IMG_4442.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4442.JPG
    IMG_4442.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 326

84_SS

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2015
Windsor, Ont
I have not gone through tech with mine but when I installed mine I put it in the spare tire well which I first flattened a little on the bottom so I could bolt down a stainless steel battery tray and I mounted it with 4 grade eight 3/8" bolts and then I put two 3/8" rods mounted through the bottom with nuts on each end to secure the 3/16" steel hold down I fabricated and because I used a tray instead of a sealed box (for easier access) I also installed an aluminum firewall behind the backseat. Also my roll bars that go in the trunk are welded to the trunk floor and to the frame below.
Since my car would be considered a "stock bodied car" I consider my battery to be 100 % secure and I feel the techs will think the same way.
Figuring stock it was mounted to a plastic wheelwell with a plastic hold down and 1 tiny metric bolt..

I will also have to add a cut off switch to the outside where my license plate goes if I do plan on going to the track.

That's what i was thinking as far as the tech goes. Also it being a closed trunk I'm not to concerned with the battery flying into the cabin. I welded in 2 pieces of 1" square tubing in the tire well to mount my battery box to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor