Battery Retainer & Bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
I have a question with regards to the battery retainer bracket in my 1986 Olds powered Buick Regal. Before I try to hunt one of these down, I wanted to figure out why mine is missing... I'm the original owner of the car -- to be more specific, my Dad had the car until the early-mid 90's and it has been mine since then. Anywho, I've serviced this car since day one and can't remember what happened to the battery bracket. I'm thinking that it might have been too small for the battery replacement some time back? Could this be the case? Have you guys seen that the stock battery retainer bracket was too small? If it is too small, what can be used as a substitute? I don't really have the time to fabricate a new one.

Not sure what yours looks like, but mine was missing on my 83' Bonneville. I'm guessing it also didn't fit whatever battery was used as a replacement so I scoured the junkyards and not one car had a bracket! According to the manual, my factory one kind of locked into the inner fender, wrapped around the battery, and bolted to the radiator support. It looks like it would only fit one size. Nowhere could I find one. I was forced to get a generic one that had a long rod from the top of the battery down to the inner fender, which hooked into the factory hole. Then on top of the battery a flat bracket with lots of holes on either side bolted to the radiator support and the long rod on the side. I have to admit at first I thought it was junk, but it's a year old and holding up pretty well.

Thanks for the info! Where did you get the bracket that you have? Can you post a pic? Thanks!

Here's mine. Looks walmart-ish I know but I can't complain, the battery hasn't budged, and it's a big one. I got the kit at my local Mom&Pop auto store. See the clamp in front? It's very adjusatable, and the long rod behind the battery goes down and hooks to the inner fender. I'd love a factory one, but I'm positive it won't fit this battery.
P3020068.jpg

Thanks for the pic!

I'll try to find one of those at my local auto parts store -- I'd love to buy the factory one but I don't know if it would fit my battery... Thanks agian for the quck pic.

You may need to buy a long enough "J" bolt seperately, mine did not come with it. I got 2 for $3 I think.

I made a hold down and used j bolts and I didn't like it, and it still managed to move a little...
I got a factory hold down from a guy online and no problems yet. They slip into the inner fender, wrap over the battery, and bolt to the core support.

As I mentioned before, I'd like to have the factory one but I don't know if it would fit my battery because it's larger than the stock one..

Bigger such as? I have a group 34 top post in mine and it fits in a stock hold down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor