CUTLASS BBC 454

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzz

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2019
Tennessee
I haven’t posted for a long time, I’ve had a lot of problems with my build. Now my son talked me out of my 383 so I bought a 454 and like everything I’ve read the oil is not at the rockets. I’ve got 70 pounds at the back oil on top there. And the only information I got on the engine because the guy died is 306 duration with 595 lift flat tappet. The question I have is this thing runs REALLY EARATIC. Like a racing cam big time. I did not expect this and the oiling at the rockers I did not expect that but I don’t know a lot about the 454s does anybody have some advice I sure appreciate it.

Scubby13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 9, 2021
I haven’t posted for a long time, I’ve had a lot of problems with my build. Now my son talked me out of my 383 so I bought a 454 and like everything I’ve read the oil is not at the rockets. I’ve got 70 pounds at the back oil on top there. And the only information I got on the engine because the guy died is 306 duration with 595 lift flat tappet. The question I have is this thing runs REALLY EARATIC. Like a racing cam big time. I did not expect this and the oiling at the rockers I did not expect that but I don’t know a lot about the 454s does anybody have some advice I sure appreciate it.
I just put the same engine in my cutlass. Now I did not do any of this myself but have worked very close with my mechanics. My cam is 544 lift and 297 duration.

Zzz

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2019
Tennessee
I just put the same engine in my cutlass. Now I did not do any of this myself but have worked very close with my mechanics. My cam is 544 lift and 297 duration.
Let me know how it runs. I just got my transmission part so I can put that on tonight and pull the car out and take it for a spin I’ll let you know how it drives with that cam. I’m still afraid it’s I didn’t break it in correctly.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Top oiling on a big block goes through the groove cut in the distributor. Small blocks don't need the groove cut all the way. So you might have a distributor that fits but is not compatible. Make sure the distributor is not blocking the oil passage.

HEI.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Zzz

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2019
Tennessee
Top oiling on a big block goes through the groove cut in the distributor. Small blocks don't need the groove cut all the way. So you might have a distributor that fits but is not compatible. Make sure the distributor is not blocking the oil passage.

View attachment 196981
I’ll pull the distributor and look it’s new for bbc and I don’t think that vertical groove is thier.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Do you have oil coming out of the rockers wen priming or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor