CUTLASS BBC 454

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzz

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2019
Tennessee
OK on the back what am I looking for and on the front what am I looking for. I didn’t look because it came straight from a builder who got it from a lady who got it from a builder not the greatest thing but that’s what happened. So I can’t talk to the guy who built the engine but the builder that sold it to me said he used high-grade parts. And I took his word on the engine. And I did plug the external two holes that are used for an external oil cooler and took the check valve out of the center of the oil filter up in there. So it sounds like I have to Call the engine now take all the front stuff off and the transmission and check.

Zzz

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2019
Tennessee
I bought the tool and used it first. And then I got a distributor and used it.
It did seem like oil was oozing or dribbling out because it did create a little bit of flow that’s with the engine running at idle.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
OK on the back what am I looking for and on the front what am I looking for. I didn’t look because it came straight from a builder who got it from a lady who got it from a builder not the greatest thing but that’s what happened. So I can’t talk to the guy who built the engine but the builder that sold it to me said he used high-grade parts. And I took his word on the engine. And I did plug the external two holes that are used for an external oil cooler and took the check valve out of the center of the oil filter up in there. So it sounds like I have to Call the engine now take all the front stuff off and the transmission and check.
At the back of the block the 2 plugs over the cam tunnel are usually where the restrictions are installed.

x75

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2018
when I do an engine, I prime with drill tool for a minute until some pressure has built up to 40 or so, making sure filter gets filled up. If possible, I prefill the oil filter to save some time.

Then install the distributor, pull all the plugs, remove valve covers, put a timing light on grounded #1 plug wire and spin the starter a while to set initial timing, also check that distributor is not "180 out". You can run a starter without load for quite a while no problem. If you have a carburetor it should also fill up with fuel, so you can check accelerator pump action at the same time. While all this is going on, oil should begin to trickle out on the rockers. This works whether you have roller lifters (oil restrictors) or not.

So you have verified oil pressure with top-end oiling, spark and timing, fuel in carb. Then reinstall plugs and wires, valve covers and other odds/ends. Double check firing order.

Turn the key and BOOM it should fire right up.

stew86MCSS396

Greasemonkey
Aug 1, 2022
(808)
I’ve swapped distributors from small block to big block and had zero issues and used them with o-rings and without and never had an issue getting oil up top. I think it’s time to look for an internal leak. Maybe a plug at the front of the oil gallery is missing. Could be a restrictor, but I think it’s time to start looking inside
I've never knew that there might be a difference between sbc vs bbc. TBH never heard of this vetical groove. Is that vertical groove stock on a bbc dizzy or a mod? Is it important to have it? As far as the store bought oil primers, (sorry having a brain fart on correct terminology) if it doesn't have the 2 machined "landings" it won't seal off the passages to send the oil up to the rockers.

Attachments

• dizzy.jpg
    dizzy.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 66
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor