bbc headers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodney ford

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 13, 2020
i have asked in the passed, i have a pro street 80 cutlass with a 396 bbc, i read a thread back then that older chevelle or camaro headers would work, i bought a set and ended up cutting and welding on them for the passenger side, i dont like them but cant see 1,000 bucks for a set, is there a set of shortys or or something out there to try? my motor is in the correct spot, no ac, thanks

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
What heads are on it? Raised exhaust port heads can cause an issue too. I’m putting a 468 in my Malibu at some point and plan on trying the 1 3/4” chevelle headers in the donor car.

stew86MCSS396

Greasemonkey
Aug 1, 2022
(808)
I know they aren't cheap but the hooker 2241 long tubes fit amazing!
Assuming you own a set...I bought a second hand set and the seller told me these headers literally fell out of the car when he unbolted them. I had them ceramic coated by Jet Hot and sold them before I had a chance to use them. I believe it was Motor Trend that did a 454 Cutlass giveaway eons ago in which they installed these headers. Magazine recommended using a mini-starter so header wouldn't hafta be unbolted for starter removal. Seem to recall they hang a little low. My question is...how's it with the slip on primary tubes? No exhaust leak issues?

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
Yes I own a set but I bought them about 20 yrs ago! They do fit absolutely amazing! Simple trim of the motor mount and that's it. Spark plugs are very easy to get at. The passenger side I can get out with the engine in the car The driver side I tried but I had to lift the engine up a little bit maybe if a person had a lift they could get it out but I could not the collector hit the ground before I was able to get it out even with the car way up in the air. I used to run the enormous factory GM starter and it actually fit the car with the headers in. I bought an aftermarket clockable starter and it did not fit in any position. I switched to the GM permanent magnet mini starter and it fits great I can just barely get the starter out without pulling the header. Even if you had to unbolt the header to change the starter it's super simple on the passenger side I bet you could have it unbolted in less than 10 minutes

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have also ran a couple Hooker 2241's on a few BBC Gbody's including my Monte before I went with Lemons Headers.
They fit well with a mini starter and the only trimming was the corner of the driver's side mount, I always use remote oil filters, so I don't know how well a full size oil filter fits, these also tucked up pretty nice with good ground clearance.
As far as slip tubes you just use a hi temp silicone to seal them and they are easy to install.
On my Lemons Headers all of the primary tubes slip into the collector the same way.
Holley owns Hooker Headers now so hopefully they haven't made any design changes on the current versions.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Hooker 2455 will fit with some love on the passenger side lower control arm mount (I trimmed mine with a reciprocating saw) or dent the headers. Hedman 68190 will fit they are smaller diameter. I never have tried the Flowtech version, just never had a set to try. Old school, Black Jack Camaro/Chevelle headers slip in, they are also of smaller tubes, like 1.75" primary and 3" collector.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor