MALIBU BBC w/factory A/C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
Has anyone on the forum successfully installed a BBC in a Malibu with factory A/C? If so, what issues did you encounter? What motor mounts and headers did you use?
The car I’m considering swapping in a big block is an 80 Malibu.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Look at stock front accessorys off any '69 & up BBC (long water pump years), you can reuse SBC mounts, use stock height valve covers, gotta dig into catalogs to see who still makes BBC headers but A/F/X bodies manifolds should be a substitute, low profile intake unless the hood has a scope that gives extra space. I've based this off a 32 year old Hot Rod atricle from May '88 (Hot Swaps, page 26).

Reactions: 1 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I am putting a big block in an 80. My setup is using parts from my 70 to do the swap. I have AC brackets from a 70-72 Chevelle and will use 70 power steering brackets. Like was said I plan on using the old 1 3/4" headers from the Chevelle and I have a set of late model Chevy black big block valve covers. I have been told that these can work with roller rockers and short poly locks. But I have not confirmed this. I will be mocking it up when I get it out of the Chevelle. Possibly have to use 2 gaskets stacked for extra room. For an intake I will be using the knockoff Edelbrock performer intake that is on it. I have seen other big block installs fit under the stock hood but it does not leave much room. The stock type small block motor mounts work, I think I am going to go with the solid mounts.

Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
The car that started it all for me, my dad's 79 Malibu Wagon, he put a 402 in there, kept the factory AC, low profile valve covers, stock GM '70-ish Chevelle manifolds IIRC. Could have been '70 Monte if they are even different. This was a factory 4-speed car, and it worked. It fit with the stock hood but as was said, it was a tight fit, the air cleaner left an indent in the hood insulation... Had to use a drop base air cleaner to get that much.

Don't ask me for more details as it was a long long time ago.

Reactions: 2 users

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
It looks like Hooker is making a set of long tube BBC headers, part # 2241HKR, for the G-Body. They have 2” tubes. Will there be any interference with these?

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
I have a set in my car and I had the factory A/C box installed but no compressor. The headers fit amazing. Any questions please feel free to ask

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor