Bead seating tricks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I am mounting some big 235-75-15 snow tires on Rally II rims for winter. The inner bead part that seats on the rim is squooshed in towards the center from storage and I can't get them out far enough to reach the rim so I can inflate them. I know about the carb cleaner explosion trick but I was hoping to save that as a last resort. Ny Uncle had an inflatable strap that you ran around the outer tire, inflated that, and it squeezed the bead out to the rim. I don't have that so what can I do in a pinch?

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Ratchet strap the circumference so it'll squeeze the center of the tire push the sides out

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I did try that but I am not getting enough movement. What did you use for a ratchet? I have some HF ones and I will try the biggest.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Start by taking the guts out of the valve stem so the air will go in quicker. Second, when I mounted tires for a living, set them in the sun so they warm up. Cut some chunks of 2x4 to maybe 8" long. Stick them between the beads while sitting in the sun to help stretch the tire out. When you're ready to try again, lube the beads before you take the wood out, have everything setup so you can do it as quick as possible. Slip the tire on and fill with air.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
A ratchet strap or log chain works in place of the inflatable strap. Likely you will need to see some flames.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
from your description the explosion trick may be your only option. A friend of mine installs tires and when the tires arrive there is no way to inflate the tires without the

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That is what it is beginning to look like. The ratchet only collapsed the tire. It is pretty fat so the sidewalls crushed in quickly. They are already on the rims so no pre-mounting sunburn is possible. What I did was toss them in the back of the Bonnewagon and I will swing by my guy's shop tomorrow. Hopefully he will know what to do. They are so loose on the rim it is almost like they are the wrong size.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
steel-core-compressor-accessories-40010-64_1000.jpg

That is if there's any gap to get the air in
these things are the sh*t, but are expensive. oh, and wear your hearing protectors. its louder than a who concert.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor