Bed repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gman1987

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 6, 2019
Upstate SC
Hello to all. I had one rust spot that I have cleaned, still need to work on it a little more. Running the wire brush I opened up the vertical seam where it meets the bed. I also have some threaded holes in the bed as if something was mounted there. There are two holes in each corner as if maybe eye bolts were there at one time, these have been cut off level with bed and had some patch over them. I do not weld and have never really done body work so asking for advice as to the best approach to making these repairs. I need to get these repairs done because you where the water will go if left as is. I have purchased different items for the repairs as pictured. I plan to fix the rust spot with the POR 15 kit. Thinking maybe threading screws into the holes, cut off at bed level and using the quick steel to seal up. No idea on approach to repairing where seam meets bed. Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• 100_0305.JPG
    100_0305.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 183
  • 100_0300.JPG
    100_0300.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 193
  • 100_0302.JPG
    100_0302.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 181
  • 100_0306.JPG
    100_0306.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 196
  • 100_0309.JPG
    100_0309.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 197

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Yeah but you're pitching to a limited audience (body guys) so you'll have to wait till one of them see it.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Hello to all. I had one rust spot that I have cleaned, still need to work on it a little more. Running the wire brush I opened up the vertical seam where it meets the bed. I also have some threaded holes in the bed as if something was mounted there. There are two holes in each corner as if maybe eye bolts were there at one time, these have been cut off level with bed and had some patch over them. I do not weld and have never really done body work so asking for advice as to the best approach to making these repairs. I need to get these repairs done because you where the water will go if left as is. I have purchased different items for the repairs as pictured. I plan to fix the rust spot with the POR 15 kit. Thinking maybe threading screws into the holes, cut off at bed level and using the quick steel to seal up. No idea on approach to repairing where seam meets bed. Thanks in advance for your help.
as far as the seam goes,you're on the right track using the seam sealer.it's a good idea to use that over ANY kind of product that gets hard in a seam.the seam sealer stays a little pliable which is what you want in a seam.i can't really condone the use of a quick steel type product over welding but i understand you don't weld so if i can offer any advise with bodywork,follow the directions of whatever products you're going to use to the letter (especially the por)and you should be going in the rite direction.also remember no matter what you decide to use,surface preparation is KEY to a lasting repair.

Last edited:

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
The POR 15 products are great when as said follow they’re directions to the letter. They’re Por Patch is a fantastic product to fill a small hole, its a 2 part epoxy like Play-do that you mix, fill the hole, sand smooth when cured, Its so hard you can even tap threads in it to accept a bolt. I’ve done it before.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Gman1987

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 6, 2019
Upstate SC
Thanks for the advice. I have to get the seam and holes done first because the por requires rinse between each step and the water will flow inside if not repaired. The seam I was not sure what to use, thanks melloeky. I have Oatey epoxy putty and Blue Magic quick steel. Both are suppose to hardened like steel. Thinking of filing holes with threaded stud thickness of bed and then using the steel putty to fill in and top off. Thanks Doug, I will look at the por patch also. Should I top off the steel repair with bondo spot putty? I think the seam sealer I have says the metal should be primed. After repairs thinking maybe I should go with a spray in liner but really prefer just paint. Thanks again for all the advice, it is greatly appreciated.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Do the first 2 steps of the Por 15 directions BEFORE you you prime and seal the seam. It will clean and etch the metal. Just make sure its dry before you prime. If you don’t have an air compressor, a heat gun or even a hair dryer will work. I did spray in liner on my bed, glad I did, I don’t have to worry about scratched paint. Use just about any body filler to hide any imperfections. The second step with Por is the etching, use a good poly primer on all your bare metal after the etchig. Have you ever dealt with Eastwood? They have fantastic restoration tools and supplies. I’ve been buying from them forever. They’re shipping is quick too. They’re on the opposite side of Pa from me and it never takes more than 2 days, usually 1. I get thinners and other body chemicals that Summit can’t ship to me.

Gman1987

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 6, 2019
Upstate SC
Thanks everyone. Ordered the Por Patch. Video's I watched show this to be good stuff. These holes are in the bed above the spare tire, drilled and taped. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor