been busy but now i'm back ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangertom

Greasemonkey
Sep 2, 2012
Independence, MO
Hey everybody, I've been gone from the forum for a minute as I've been busy rebuilding my 4.3 V6 in my 92 Chevy truck, I cracked the head and the block in my original engine in 5 places at 358000 miles ( God only knows how) so I pulled an exact engine at pick & pull and here is m progress in pics, hope you all enjoy. Oh, and keep in mind I've never built / rebuilt an engine before nor do I have any training ... I watched a series of videos on youtube and followed my chiltons and it was actually very easy... oh, and I don't have a garage so I built this in my basement and carried it out piece by piece to put together in the truck....

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 651
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 642
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 655
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    313.8 KB · Views: 641

rangertom

Greasemonkey
Sep 2, 2012
Independence, MO
Just a note, the engine I pulled from pick and pull turned out to be in great shape, so I didn't need to bore out the cylinders, or even have it or the heads decked. I reused as many parts as possible by soaking and wire brushing them until clean ie: lifters, pushrods, pistons, heads, block, camshaft, crank, manifold, TBI, valve springs, rocker arms... new parts were installed where needed but in an effort to save money I took the time to completely take everything apart and thoroughly clean and coat with new oil as many parts as was still in specs... all said and done this build came in just under $900.00 by doing it all by myself and taking my time to be thorough.

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 677
  • 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 636

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Congrats on a successful rebuild. If it runs as good as it looks you did a great job.

rangertom

Greasemonkey
Sep 2, 2012
Independence, MO
Thank you driven, She purrs like a kitten and has soooo much more power than even when I first bought it. I'm pretty proud since I've never done this before and did it myself... now I've got an itch to do something more powerful for my cutlass since I have the confidence to do it now...

SMSC27

Apprentice
Oct 17, 2013
Delmar, delaware
rangertom said:
now I've got an itch to do something more powerful for my cutlass since I have the confidence to do it now...

And a new motorhead is born.. congrats, you did a great job for your first time.. both mechanically and cosmetically!

rangertom

Greasemonkey
Sep 2, 2012
Independence, MO
SMSC27 said:
rangertom said:
now I've got an itch to do something more powerful for my cutlass since I have the confidence to do it now...

And a new motorhead is born.. congrats, you did a great job for your first time.. both mechanically and cosmetically!
that's the truth... I need to get another engine to rebuild soon... I'm itching to do another...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor