Before I spend big $$$, does anyone have a rear end for sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Hey guys, doing my rear end project this spring(in the next month hopefully). Doing away with the stock 7.5 with 2.41 gears(I know I know). As far as a new build I've eyeballed a for 9 inch built by Quick performance. Going 3.73 gears and such. However I figured I'd check before a spend just over 2 grand to see if anyone has anything they'd like to part ways with. I'd like something with posi/locking rear end of some kind(2 wheel peel) and something in the ballpark of 3.42's or 3.73's. Let me know.

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Hey guys, doing my rear end project this spring(in the next month hopefully). Doing away with the stock 7.5 with 2.41 gears(I know I know). As far as a new build I've eyeballed a for 9 inch built by Quick performance. Going 3.73 gears and such. However I figured I'd check before a spend just over 2 grand to see if anyone has anything they'd like to part ways with. I'd like something with posi/locking rear end of some kind(2 wheel peel) and something in the ballpark of 3.42's or 3.73's. Let me know.

I have a used Gbody posi rear 3.73 in the shed I think out of a monte or ElCamino. Its a 7.5" rear though. Located in CT

Reactions: 1 user

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I have a used Gbody posi rear 3.73 in the shed I think out of a monte or ElCamino. Its a 7.5" rear though. Located in CT

Ok sorry for the delay in getting back. Brutally busy week. How much do you want for it and how could we calculate shipping to Western New York?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If you ever plan on making some power then I would go with the Quick Performance 9" there are lots of ratio options and also many brake options.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Ok sorry for the delay in getting back. Brutally busy week. How much do you want for it and how could we calculate shipping to Western New York?

if you were considering a Quick 9", which isn't cheap, you must have some serious power so how could a 7.5" do the job?

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
if you were considering a Quick 9", which isn't cheap, you must have some serious power so how could a 7.5" do the job?

I have a GM crate motor running TBI fuel inecjection. It dyno'd at 240hp and 300 ft lbs. So no not serious. Next set of plans include a new fuel system(one truly designed for performance) that should have me closer to the motors specs of 330hp and 350 ft lbs. Again not unheard of #'s, but you can read and read and some guys do ok with 7.5 and other guys shred them with a stock 305.

So here's where I'm at. I could do:

-A built to order GM 12 bolt for $3,200-$3,400. I paid $3,800 for the entire car.
-A Quick Perf 9" for about $2,500. Kinda overkill but also bullet proof.
-I have a guy locally offering to rebuild my 7.5 with all new internals(don't have the spec in front of me, posi,3.73's.) for $1,300 total. Which could either be rock solid for life or blow up next summer doing a burnout. Who knows?
-Or buy a 7.5 used and have it serviced with minor upgrades for about half that. Again, might be great, might blow up.

I'm handy but I'm not a mechanic so whatever I choose I don't want to waste the time of the friends helping me put it together. See where I'm at?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
[QUOTE="oldmansmonte, post: 546827, member: 7685"
-I have a guy locally offering to rebuild my 7.5 with all new internals(don't have the spec in front of me, posi,3.73's.) for $1,300 total. Which could either be rock solid for life or blow up next summer doing a burnout. Who knows?
[/QUOTE]

for $1,300 I think you can get an 8.5"...or if he's rebuilding it using an Eaton trutrac and 28 spline axles then it is worth it

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
[QUOTE="oldmansmonte, post: 546827, member: 7685"

for $1,300 I think you can get an 8.5"...or if he's rebuilding it using an Eaton trutrac and 28 spline axles then it is worth it[/QUOTE]

Yeah I got to have him give me the specs. This particular friend is no hack and he's never steered me wrong. He's built some very respectable toys for himself so we'll see where this goes.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
so what did you end up doing ? I noticed my rear is spinning the tires a little more to one side lately

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor