Before I tell the asking, what's it worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

el corvino

Greasemonkey
Aug 23, 2015
An older lady is selling a 1987 Cutlass that belonged to her husband who passed away. Just before he passed away, he put brand new tires on it and an all brand new A/C and heating system set up to R134. Has the J41 suspension package too! Also, an ASC sunroof.

1 owner with 100,000 miles on it. Runs and drives like a dream.

IMG_8349.jpg

IMG_8344.jpg

IMG_8354.jpg

IMG_8346.jpg

IMG_8352.jpg

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
With the looks of that front bumper, the rest of the car is likely shot. Personally I wouldn't pay much over $600. The Green interior was low volume and not used on H/O or 442's so not much value there.. Most people upgrading the suspension on a G body can buy bolt-ons that exceed the performance of the F41 package. On a positive note, although the car looks worn and faded, the front clip and tail light lenses are worth some money if they aren't cracked.

el corvino

Greasemonkey
Aug 23, 2015
It's actually very odd... I assumed northern under body rot just the same... none at all. Opened the door expecting rust on the firewall... none at all.

Literally, the only rust is the 2 bumpers, the slight amount on the hood, and the trunk.

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
well when you DO buy it i have all the "goodies" to make it "that much better"(buckets,console,floor shifter,rust free bumpers,etc;)

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
With the rear bumper looking as it does check the rear frame rails & mount. Door bottoms look good??

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
It looks more like a '$1500' car to me ( a daily driver that will never be a show car)

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Maybe $2000? Looks good from the pictures provided. Assuming it's a 307 V8? Unless you find one that's below 50,000 miles and garaged, this is what they look like.

Something to keep in mind, the paint on these cars were basically matte from the factory, especially metallics. It doesn't appear "shot" at all. Just aged lacquer. It's nearly 30 years old. Sheesh.

Decent option package, nice color. Maybe they should have offered the "almighty" 442 (same freaking car with bucket seats, decals, and some extra horsepower) in light green metallic.

Delaware isn't really what I would consider "northern", at least in terms of vehicles and rust. Unless the car is parked at the ocean, cars stay very clean here most of the time. There is usually only 2 months out of the year where it's actually cold, and until just recently they didn't use salt on the roads. Cars usually get "Southern rust", ie: rust from moisture/humidity up high if they sit idle outside before they rot underneath (like a PA or NY silty soil/salt monster).

I've seen very few G-bodies with the F41 suspension. Some people don't care or appreciate that, but it's neat in my book. If you want something that handles like a new car...buy a new car.

But, a Monte Carlo SS that's been painted 10x, has a redneck 350, some Pro-Stars, doofball B&M shifter, aftermarket Honda style radio, speakers and steering wheel sure would be a lot kewler and must be worth a lot more than that pile. Where's my black Metallica shirt that's too small for me? I'm hungry for some Slim Jims...

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Something to keep in mind, the paint on these cars were basically matte from the factory, especially metallics. It doesn't appear "shot" at all. Just aged lacquer. It's nearly 30 years old. Sheesh.

Yes, I guess that flat green would buff out...LOL. My dad has an awesome set of tools too.

In all seriousness if you have a thing for green Cutlass' it may be worth more than $600 to you. Around me I can buy clapped out G bodies for that price. For me, that type of rust would make it either a driver to clean up and quickly flip or a parts car. If it was an H/O or 442 it would be a different story. If you really like the green interior / exterior with pillow seats then it might be worth $2000 to you....To each his own. In the early 90's I remember seeing one just like that on a car lot with special edition badging. Cleaned up it was a good looking car. What are your goals?

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
The main point was that a lot of times you see G-bodies, mainly Monte Carlo SS' and El Camino's, for sale at exorbitant asking prices and they're piles of hacked up junk. Loose wiring under the dash, bare/stripped engine bays with nothing other than an older 350 with rusty headers and a piece of scrap diamond plate siliconed over where the HVAC box was on the firewall. Sometimes they're not even tagged (!). Interior spray bombed black with $0.97 enamel.

Average asking price for that type of crap? Usually at least $5000. Then the last line of their ad is usually "don't try an' lowball me, I know what I got/I've got twice that in receipts".

This seems to be an original owner unmolested car. From what I can see, the original carpet doesn't even show any wear near the seal plates. Not too many around like that anymore. There are so many other things to consider other than outside cosmetics. The car isn't hiding anything. Needs a repaint and a front bumper to be rechromed.

Metallic paint and pillow seats were what the bulk of G-bodies were. Neat stuff.

Is this northern Delaware or southern? The last Cutlass I saw for sale was almost a year ago and was a brown '85 that was pretty worn out for $1800.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor