Behind Dash Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jays Gbody

n00b
Jan 28, 2023
This is an 87' cutlass.
Hey guys I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. However I just want a second opinions.
I'd like the pull the wiring for the antenna relay and also snip the connectors that went to the stock computer back to clean up behind the dash a little more to give some room to wire up my own TCC circuit and mount relay where antenna relay was before finally putting dash back in car..
Is there any reason that I can't do this I'm not the best with electrical but after doing some probing I'm pretty sure nothing else is tied to this stuff. So please if anyone knows something I'm missing let me know.

Attachments

• PXL_20230128_182052775.jpg
    PXL_20230128_182052775.jpg
    911 KB · Views: 67

PVDave

Apprentice
Oct 28, 2021
Arvada, CO
"I'd like the pull the wiring for the antenna relay and also snip the connectors that went to the stock computer."

Pulling all the wiring related to a circuit is fine, but in most cases the wires enter a harness and run parallel to other wires, so it's hard to remove the entire circuit.

"Snipping" connectors off a harness is not a good idea- The harness connectors isolate the wire and terminals, preventing short circuits between the wires and barring dead shorts between the wire and the vehicle body (the battery ground path). You could cut and cap off each wire, but the end result isn't any prettier than a dangling connector.

"but after doing some probing I'm pretty sure nothing else is tied to this stuff. "

You're not conveying a lot of confidence with this statement- If you're wrong and cut a critical circuit, restoring the circuit won't be any fun. Automotive electrical circuits use rather unique logic and cutting wires can isolate components or create unwanted back-feed situations.

I'm a fan of cleaning up harnesses and deleting un-needed wiring, but it's not a project for the faint hearted.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor