Behind-glove box wiring questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

brrian

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
See the pic below - I have the glove box out & this is the wiring behind it:

1 - there's a blue wire cut. there's a connector a few inches from it. what's this blue wire for?
2 - what's the little clear-ish box in the corner?
3 - i have the clock in the dash, above the glove box. it doesn't work. no wonder - it's not connected. where would I find the other end of this / what am I looking for? I can't find any wires tucked away anywhere that this might connect to.

Thanks...

wiring questions.png

Supa.Slo.SS

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2020
CA
1. The blue wire might be you front dash speaker wire, its hard to tell from the picture but the connector looks like it. Follow the wire from the connector up to the top of the dash.
2. Clearish box looks like a relay but I do not know for what.
3. I do no not think that is for your clock, on my MC that looks like the plug for the glove box light. That plug actually pushes into some metal prongs that are apart of the latch system/light for the glove box. It can only go in one way.

brrian

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
The upper side of the blue wire (not-cut, before the connector) seems to run into a harness. I can't find the other end on the cut side, so I don't know where it goes.

& you're right about the connector not being for the clock. I followed it before and it felt like it ran into the top of the clock, but I checked again and it seems to run into a harness just above the clock. I took my latch out - it's below. It's broken... there's the base of a bulb broken off in it, some plastic gone & one of the terminals is gone. Which explains why it's disconnected.

1660854234185.png

Last edited:

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
See the pic below - I have the glove box out & this is the wiring behind it:

1 - there's a blue wire cut. there's a connector a few inches from it. what's this blue wire for?
2 - what's the little clear-ish box in the corner?
3 - i have the clock in the dash, above the glove box. it doesn't work. no wonder - it's not connected. where would I find the other end of this / what am I looking for? I can't find any wires tucked away anywhere that this might connect to.

Thanks...

View attachment 204967
What vehicle are you repairing? My way to find out is with a wiring schematic.

brrian

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
What vehicle are you repairing? My way to find out is with a wiring schematic.
81 Grand Prix - I should've said that.
I have the service manual for my car. I looked for this blue wire & can't find it. I'm looking again.
The connector that I thought was for my clock wasn't - it's for the glove box light, which was broken, and is now fixed.

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
81 Grand Prix - I should've said that.
I have the service manual for my car. I looked for this blue wire & can't find it. I'm looking again.
The connector that I thought was for my clock wasn't - it's for the glove box light, which was broken, and is now fixed.
Ok.

Start the vehicle, turn fans on to hi, then take a multimeter and set the voltage for DC mode, and take the red side to that blue wire, and the black to a screw or another piece of metal on the car for a ground.

If that wire is live, the meter should display 12v-14 depending on your electrical system in the vehicle at hand!

brrian

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Ok.

Start the vehicle, turn fans on to hi, then take a multimeter and set the voltage for DC mode, and take the red side to that blue wire, and the black to a screw or another piece of metal on the car for a ground.

If that wire is live, the meter should display 12v-14 depending on your electrical system in the vehicle at hand!
Multimeter shows no voltage. I separated the connector ahead of the cut & tested there so I know I had a good connection. Nothing.
Pics are below - the first is the connector on the 'good' side (leads into the harness). The second is the cut end. It has what looks like heat shrink tubing on it.
Supa.Slo.SS suggested it could be a speaker wire - I tested all four speakers & all work, so probably not that.

IMG_20220820_194524.jpg
IMG_20220821_103052.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Multimeter shows no voltage. I separated the connector ahead of the cut & tested there so I know I had a good connection. Nothing.
Pics are below - the first is the connector on the 'good' side (leads into the harness). The second is the cut end. It has what looks like heat shrink tubing on it.
Supa.Slo.SS suggested it could be a speaker wire - I tested all four speakers & all work, so probably not that.

View attachment 205233 View attachment 205234
You should be fine then. If theres no voltage, and if all other accessories function ok?

Perhaps it was just a connector only for the models with upgraded Delco radios?

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020

View attachment 205233 View attachment 205234
You can try also seeing where the wire leads, also do your continuity mode too and check that lmao.

But yeah otherwise, like I said if the other accessories function I would say it’s not essential!

brrian

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
You can try also seeing where the wire leads, also do your continuity mode too and check that lmao.

But yeah otherwise, like I said if the other accessories function I would say it’s not essential!
I still have some electrical work left to do - the key & seatbelt buzzers don't work, and the rear defrost doesn't seem to work (or the light on the switch doesn't work... not sure which yet). If it doesn't end up having something to do with one of those, I'll leave it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor